Esteemed Contributor

Re: Does anyone bake a King Cake this time of year?

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Anyone else here have no idea what a king cake is?  

357FB4D2-A311-42CC-AEAA-B5D54AE903AE.jpeg

Frequent Contributor

@qvcfreak
What are the ingredients on the top of that bread?
Frequent Contributor

@Tinkrbl144
I had no idea of a “King Cake” until about 3 years ago. As I do not live in the Deep South where this yearly tradition mostly exists. It is available from Ephipany Day (Jan 6th) until Mardi Gras is what I know.
People bring King Cakes to Mardi Gras get togethers and it seems some also have get togethers with the King Cake being the focus. There is usually a miniature plastic baby (like the ones found at baby showers) or now sometimes a plastic gold coin. Whoever gets the piece of cake that has the “baby” in it….they are the King for the Day and required to be the one who supplies the King Cake next year.

There is information online and on YouTube on King Cakes.

That’s why I asked the question…Does anyone else bake a King Cake?
Because I’m new to this. I think it is just a FUN thing to look forward to after the Holiday season whines down and everything seems to go stale until Spring arrives.

So, I was wondering how many other people make a King Cake annually? Do people even KNOW what a King Cake is? Etc.

I hope you are able to learn more about it. There are so many different varieties of the King Cake recipe as well as, how people celebrate with the King Cake.

I’m not any expert. I made my first one last year. And now I’m going to make another one. But I just made it for fun and then it tasted so good that I’m going to make it an annual tradition. Just like my grandmother/granny was famous for her Pound Cake🙂
People looked forward to Christmas time because they knew she would start baking them.
Esteemed Contributor

@Jesse Ann  I've never made it myself. I know that whoever gets the baby in their slice, host the party the following year. 

Respected Contributor

I have never seen a recipe for a King cake,  but the grocery stores always have a huge display of them in their bakeries....the way they decorate them looks gaudy and unappetizing so I have never been interested in buying one. Can you share your recipe? Is it sweet or like bread? 

Esteemed Contributor

@MakeUpMaidn wrote:

Are you going to actually bake the "baby" figurine inside the cake?

WOW!   Mardi Gras is early this year!    Feb 21st!

(Ash Wed  2/22) 

@MakeUpMaidn 

The baby is generally inserted from the underside after the cake is baked.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jesse Ann 

I'm NOLA born and raised and just wanted to let you know how much I've enjoyed this thread you started and your enthusiasm for king cakes.  To answer your original question, no I've never baked a king cake because they're everywhere this time of year.  So if you live here it's just a matter of deciding where to buy your king cake (and getting there before they sell out of that day's supply lol).

We eat king cakes from Jan. 6 through Mardi Gras.  The tradition is that whoever gets the baby buys the next king cake.  My son who lives in Chicago & So.Michigan is having a Mardi Gras party for his Michigan neighbors complete with a king cake directly from NOLA that he had to order way in advance because it's from a particularly popular bakery. 

My favorite is "traditional" which has no filling, but of the filled varieties I always choose cream cheese. Happy baking, @Jesse Ann !

ETA I came back to say that for anyone who wants to order a king cake from New Orleans, google "Randazzo's king cakes" or "Haydel's king cakes."  Those are both favorites here.

Esteemed Contributor

@qvcfreak wrote:

Where I live, we don't do a cake but more of a bread like this one.

754EB5BC-E9CD-4B2B-AF6D-0424A28257A4.jpeg

@qvcfreak 

That looks so interesting.  Are those strips of dried fruit?  Do you call it a king cake, or something else?

Esteemed Contributor

@shoesnbags  It's called Rosca de Reyes in Spanish which translates to King's Wreath

Esteemed Contributor

@qvcfreak wrote:

@shoesnbags  It's called Rosca de Reyes in Spanish which translates to King's Wreath

Ah yes, a king's wreath for king's day.  Aren't traditions like this fascinating?