Frequent Contributor

Does anyone bake a King Cake this time of year?

I baked my first King Cake last year. I’m about to attempt my second one this week. I started with a cream cheese filled King Cake with lemon sugared glaze icing poured on top, while cake was warm, sprinkled with colored sugar. Purple, Gold, and Green. I used 3 different recipes into my one cake. Does anyone else do this tradition? Between January 6th (Epiphany Day) and Mardi Gras Day?
Any secrets or suggestions that help with making the BEST King Cake? Last year I braided the dough. But I’m new to raised dough baking techniques. It was delicious and I can’t wait for another one!!⚜️🥳
Honored Contributor

Re: Does anyone bake a King Cake this time of year?

[ Edited ]

@Jesse Ann wrote:
I baked my first King Cake last year. I’m about to attempt my second one this week. I started with a cream cheese filled King Cake with lemon sugared glaze icing poured on top, while cake was warm, sprinkled with colored sugar. Purple, Gold, and Green. I used 3 different recipes into my one cake. Does anyone else do this tradition? Between January 6th (Epiphany Day) and Mardi Gras Day?
Any secrets or suggestions that help with making the BEST King Cake? Last year I braided the dough. But I’m new to raised dough baking techniques. It was delicious and I can’t wait for another one!!⚜️🥳

@Jesse Ann 

I don't but I have a good friend who does.  She is from NOLA.

Honored Contributor

Mardi Gras King Cake image 1

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Are you going to actually bake the "baby" figurine inside the cake?

WOW!   Mardi Gras is early this year!    Feb 21st!

(Ash Wed  2/22) 

Respected Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

Mardi Gras King Cake image 1

@Desertdi 

Looks DELICIOUS!       I'm ready to dig in!

Respected Contributor

@Jesse Ann your version sounds scrumptous! Ive never had King Cake but i would definately eat yours. I hope you share a photo of yours when done!

Honored Contributor

Wow!  That cake is so festive.  Enjoy your cake and Mardi Gras @MakeUpMaidn !

Honored Contributor

I watched my SIL make a King Cake one day.  It took her about about 4 hours from start to finish.  Her's was filled with a cinnamon/brown sugar/butter mixture that was spread on a flattened rectangle of dough and then rolled into a log, similar to making cinnamon rolls.  She baked it in a Bundt pan.    

Valued Contributor

Last week, my sister shipped us a King Cake. So Good!

I am hoping that King Cake will become  a yearly tradition.

Frequent Contributor

@MakeUpMaidn

Sorry such a delayed post. Last year, as well as this year (when I make my King Cake) I added the plastic baby AFTER I baked it, but while it was warm (not hot). I pushed the baby into the cake (bread like cake) from the bottom into the cake. That way, it was in there, but I didn’t feel good about baking plastic into the cake.

I might push a plastic gold coin into the cake this year. Just because it is a little “safer” on the teeth in case someone bites a little to hard and don’t want anyone to damage a tooth!!

I just found it to be a fun thing to look forward to after Christmas is over but cold weather is still around. So now I feel like there is something to look forward to from before Thanksgiving through to Easter! Then it is warm again🙂
In the mid North East no one knows what a King Cake is. And they are not sold in stores, as I’ve seen (online) that in the South they are sold even prepackaged in grocery stores.
It was delicious last year. Hopefully I will be able to follow what I wrote down from last year. As I took 3 recipes and combined them into one King Cake!!