Honored Contributor

Re: Does anyone agree about long threads

As someone who is regular on a a thread that started in 2013, I see no reason that long threads should bother anyone.

Deep friendships have been made and new posters are always acknowledged and welcomed.

I greatly appreciate QVC allowing our thread to continue.  Threads that abide by the Community Guidelines shouldn't disturb anyone.

No need to read what you don't want to!  Just click away and move on.

I appreciate 'quoting' as it makes it clear to me who they are replying to and about what.

I try never, ever to let small things annoy me!

Honored Contributor

When it is basically longer than four pages I just read the first page and last page.  Skip the middle completely.  If it was an Oreo Cookie then I would enjoy the whole thing.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@Junebug54 wrote:

@Anonymous032819 I agree with both.   The two chatting should take their conversation elsewhere.  It's a sad thread in my opinion.   

@Junebug54 

Where exactly is "elsewhere"?   

Since they most likely don't actually know  each other, they can't email off-board.  Are you saying they should start a new thread?  Threads with duplicate topics often get deleted.   I don't know what options you are referring to.

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

On the other hand, I don't like posts that are obviously referring to a former post but don't quote it ( and sometimes don't even include the name of the first poster.) I have to go searching if I want to find that first post.

@suzyQ3 

ITA .....  some conversations are very hard to follow.   If a person is going to comment in a thread, and they are referring to another post or poster, it should be clear who they are replying to.

Esteemed Contributor

I disagree. 

Esteemed Contributor

Never, ever, ever quote anyone.    No good comes of it.

Honored Contributor

@CherryHugs wrote:

I am soo not a fan of a thread with comments that keep getting added on to!

Hope you know what I mean, its hard to explain. 

I never do that and cant stand to go thru all of it to see comments.  I always start a new comment without all the added stuff.

Might just be me that is annoyed by it LOL.

@CherryHugs 

Wow.  Well, if this is your biggest gripe in life, you are a very lucky person.  

There is no rule here that you HAVE to read every thread or every post,   Skip over the long posts .... or just move on to other topics.  

I have no objection to spirited or longer conversations, and appreciate the previous posts added, so I can follow the conversation and who said what.    Yes, they can get a little unwieldy, but so what?  Move on.  So easy peasy for you.

Honored Contributor

I think context is a good idea. If you are responding to another idea, quote it to give the other poster credit and to give context. But I also agree that usually the beginning of any back and forth can be deleted. Good thing we have the edit feature!

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Recently, on a thread two posters went totally off topic to discuss a shipping issue that concerned a product that was not even mentioned in the OP. It seems one poster recognized another from a thread concerning the product in question. There must have been five or six posts by those two.

They should have found that product's thread, and gone there to post. I suppose it was easier, took less of their time, to just take over the one they happened to be on without a care for others.

After returning several times to read new posts relating to the OP, only to find this uninteresting back and forth, I gave up, as I suspect others did as well and the thread died or, more likely, was killed off.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

JMHO ----But its easier to follow a conversation when you quote a specific post that you are replying to----  I HATE those that have a @posters name and then respond with a few words and you have no idea what the conversation was.... you have go back through all the posts to find the author to figure what they were even talking about!!!---it kind of causes a break in the flow of the conversation and I pass those by and tend to not respond to those folks...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”