Super Contributor

Re: Does any one take levothyroxine for hypothyroidism

On 7/24/2014 SusyQ22a said:
On 7/24/2014 Marybella said:
On 7/24/2014 SusyQ22a said: So no weight gain? The information I was reading says your weight should go down or stay steady. I trust my doctor. I've gone to her for a long time. I guess I need to stop reading about it on the internet.

No weight gain. Quit reading on the internet. Smiley Happy

Closing the tabs now with the articles as we speak.
Super Contributor

I forgot to say thank you all for answering my questions. Smiley Happy
Super Contributor

Been taking it for almost 20 years...I think warnings are good, and the weird thing about thyroid medicine in general is that it CAN take a little time to get the perfect dose for you- and if you are getting , say a little too much, you might then become aware of a rapid heartbeat or something, which you should then report to your MD in order to fine tune your dosage.

Personally, I never have had any side effects from this at all...

Regular Contributor

It will be fine as long as you don't exceed the dose your doctor suggested. Now go read the side effects for aspirin.

Super Contributor

On 7/24/2014 polar said:

It will be fine as long as you don't exceed the dose your doctor suggested. Now go read the side effects for aspirin.

LOL I know scary! Sometimes it makes you think if it's worth taking the meds due to the side effects. I go back in 8 weeks to see how the drug is working and to make adjustments. Right now I am taking 50 mcg which is the starter amount.
Respected Contributor

On 7/24/2014 SusyQ22a said:
On 7/24/2014 polar said:

It will be fine as long as you don't exceed the dose your doctor suggested. Now go read the side effects for aspirin. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

LOL I know scary! Sometimes it makes you think if it's worth taking the meds due to the side effects. I go back in 8 weeks to see how the drug is working and to make adjustments. Right now I am taking 50 mcg which is the starter amount.

Susy, think of it this way. The medicine you are now on is a synthetic version of the natural hormone your thyroid should be producing. The majority of the side effects are the same things that would happen if your own thyroid started producing too much thyroxine. Only in this case, they can adjust the dosage, etc.

Just make sure and follow the directions which it sound like you have paid attention to already. Best wishes to you.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Super Contributor

Thank you everybody. I don't want to leave anybody out. Smiley Happy
Super Contributor

Well, I think I'm the odd one out. I've been on Synthroid for 5 years now and have had a huge change in my health. after much research and tests finally realized it is side effects from the thryoid meds.

This week I see my endo and am going to see about trying Naturethroid. I may just be someone that doesn't do well on synthetic.

Hope it works for you.

Super Contributor

Well this is only day 1 on this med so we'll see. I have read it will take a few weeks to feel any effects so for now I am taking them as directed and being observant. I appreciate your feedback too Disneylandfan. It's good to hear a different side too. I guess it's fitting that all medicines don't work the same for everybody.
Trusted Contributor

I've taken it for 3 years, SusyQ, with no problems at all, other than waiting hungrily for breakfast! You may need some extra doctor's visits and bloodwork in order to find the best dosage for you. After a bit of tweaking the medicine, I now just see my endo once a year. The brand name Synthroid is more expensive than Levothyroxine too.