Honored Contributor

Re: Does Your Seatbelt Hurt You?

I don't know.........never used it.    

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Valued Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Jackhound Mom    @Nightowlz    @Beauty$Junkie  

I've found another solution ......   as soon as I was able to examine the gizmo that prevents the top half of the seatbelt from rubbing against my neck, I found an even cheaper alternative.

Just plain old coated pony tail rubber bands do the trick  .....  the stretchy nylon coated elastic bands ......  just slide one on the seatbelt and leave it behind the clip that goes into the seat.   When the seat is fastened, you can slide it up or down the belt to adjust it for you.   Works like a charm!    Woman LOL

My belt is black and I got a package of black scrunchie bands and keep them in my glove compartment .....  every once in a while one will pop off, but since I got a card of 20 at the dollar store, I'm good for a while.

These things come in a lot of colors, so it should be pretty easy to find some the color of your seat belt.

In case I'm not clear ..... here's an example.  HTH

Image result for goody ponytail bands

I am confused...are you sliding the hair band up above you head where the adjustable feature is or keeping it down near your hip?

Honored Contributor

We only have one car and DH drives it 90% of the time, so the seat adjustment is right for him. With the seat in that position the seat belt comes right across my chin. No matter what I can't get it comfortable so I have to move the seat up so the seat belt hits lower over my shoulder. Then , of course , when DH gets in he has a hissy fit that the seat isn't right.

Respected Contributor

The only time a seatbelt bothers me is when I’m a passenger due to a chemo therapy port that I have.  Happy to say it gets removed at the end of the month.  Thanks to the wonderful nurse that gave me a tiny pillow that slips on the seatbelt from the manufacturer that makes Nulastra it puts a nice padding over the port.  I swear nurses are totally the best. 

Honored Contributor

A little bit. It leaves a scratchy red mark near my neck sometime.

Honored Contributor

Interesting subject.

I've been using a very thin piece of foam across my chest and collarbone.

Not too thick, though, as I recently watched an episode segment (I believe on Dr. Oz, but not sure).  It warned against babies/children wearing thick jackets underneath their seat belts/car seats. 

It demonstrated how, in an accident, the child can slide out of their jackets and out of their car seats.  Very dangerous. 

To keep warm, they suggested placing a blanket or jacket on top of the child, over the entire car seat. Not underneath the belts. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

@Tinkrbl44  Thank you!  Fabulous idea.  

It is really odd how the design is.  I am of average height and arm length.  I feel bad for anyone shorter.  It is the same on the passenger side.  I have pretty much adjusted to grabbing it as I get in the car.

I once owned a Mazda 2 door that had a neat system.  The seat belt was on a track above the window.  When the car was started.  The seat belt attachment moved forward.

We had a Subaru that had the same system, then you had to pull the lap belt over.

Thinking back, they were dangerous because if the door ever flew open the harness would slide back.

Esteemed Contributor

When I bought my Honda Civic 2-1/2 yrs ago from the salesman - who used to be my roomie, the seatbelt wrapped in front of my neck, strangling me, as I'm very short. He then was able to lower the seatbelt - by doing something to the stationary plastic piece where the seatbelt pulls out of. So - the seatbelt (from the top) - can be lowered or raised.

Trusted Contributor

Yes, right by my neck/shoulder area and it is adjusted down as far as it can go.

Trusted Contributor

I found the clip you want at the AAA store. ...2 in a package ...under $10.