Honored Contributor

Re: Does Your Seatbelt Hurt You?

(thread title)

No, and neither does my shoulder strap. I put seatbelts in my first car back in 1955(got my driver's license), it was a 1950 Mercury Coupe, because I felt they added to my safety. I have owned many vehicles, and raced several on race tracks, and none of my seatbelts/shoulder straps, or complete shoulder harnesses ever hurt me.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Allegheny wrote:

@Tinkrbl44  Thank you!  Fabulous idea.  

It is really odd how the design is.  I am of average height and arm length.  I feel bad for anyone shorter.  It is the same on the passenger side.  I have pretty much adjusted to grabbing it as I get in the car.

I once owned a Mazda 2 door that had a neat system.  The seat belt was on a track above the window.  When the car was started.  The seat belt attachment moved forward.

We had a Subaru that had the same system, then you had to pull the lap belt over.

Thinking back, they were dangerous because if the door ever flew open the harness would slide back.

I had a '93 Subaru Legacy wagon that had that auto seatbelt feature & I'm really short, so if I went to the drive-thru at the bank & fast food places, I'd have to open the door to reach the machine or the window & I got my head stuck more than once when the shoulder seatbelt would slide forward when I opened the door & I'd be stuck between the belt & the doorframe!  I'm sure it was pretty funny looking!  I sure don't miss that feature!

I now have sheepskin seatbelt covers that Velcro closed around the shoulder belts on both front seats & are the same color (black) as the seatbelts of my Forester.  The sheepskin is a bit softer against the skin than the edge of the seatbelt. I ordered them from Amazon.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

We only have one car and DH drives it 90% of the time, so the seat adjustment is right for him. With the seat in that position the seat belt comes right across my chin. No matter what I can't get it comfortable so I have to move the seat up so the seat belt hits lower over my shoulder. Then , of course , when DH gets in he has a hissy fit that the seat isn't right.

Smiley Happy  My father always knew when mother borrowed his razor.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Seat belts have always bothered me.  I got a new car recently and was just thinking that once again they are designed for tall people.  I'm short and at 5' 2" the belt always cuts across my neck....it's super annoying!

I need to find one of the belt adjustment clips.

ETA:  I think most of those who say that their seatbelts never bother them have to be tall....certainly they aren't 5'2"!  Most seatbelts are designed for taller people even with the the adjustment feature which is a joke to those of us who are short.

Honored Contributor

In the last few months I have found that the seatbelt really bothers me.  It rubs and irritates my skin and even can cause blood bruises.  As another poster stated, this is not so much of a problem in winter when you have on heavier clothes and coats, but in summer, it is very uncomfortable.  What I do is simply take a soft micro-fiber cloth and place it under the belt where it hits me funny.  It's an extra step, but it feels much better!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

Nope.. it does not bother me at all. Guess I am used to it. And ours are adjustable too if need be.

Respected Contributor

I would worry about the safety of some of these fixes if you were in an accident.   I used to use metal ones, but now I use actual seatbelt extensions.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Trusted Contributor

Yes I hate the shoulder strap so I bought those clips to keep it away ..I got mine from amazon

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Esteemed Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

Ours are adjustable, there's a slide on the door post.

So is mine, but it still doesn't go far enough to not hit me right in my neck!  I have a 2018 car, too.

Honored Contributor

I just bought a new Camry in September and I finally figured out that my seatbelt was ruining my clothing.

I bought 2 new raw silk tops at Marshalls (mercifully they were about $14.99 each).  I thought I just didn't notice that the top had a pull in it.  The second top had the same pull.  At first I thought it was my desk at work and then figured out it is my seatbelt.

It's at the waist part.  I bought a cover on Amazon for it and hope it helps, but when I go to the dealer next week for my regular maintenance I am going to ask about having it replaced.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN