Honored Contributor

Re: Does Walmart still take in plastic bags?

@northiie57 wrote:

They have banned plastic bags here in Vermont.  We use our own or the store will charge you per flimsy paper bag.   They still have the produce plastic bags though.

Us too here in NYS.

@depglass 

I'll take ALL your extra plastic bags!!!!

I deliver meals to people and REALLY miss those!

Honored Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

@northiie57 wrote:

They have banned plastic bags here in Vermont.  We use our own or the store will charge you per flimsy paper bag.   They still have the produce plastic bags though.

@northiie57 

Same here in California, except for the Wal Mart that I shop at for groceries. I took my own bags once, and they told me that that could not bag my items in my bags. What??? Whatever, so now I just pay for their bags to avoid the hassle

@icezeus 

Walmart in Ca does not have the plastic bags so they make you buy theirs instead of using your own?

That's ridiculous. When they stop with plastic here I will be using my own. I'm not paying to use theirs. I will just check myself out?

I guess if you order groceries for pickup they charge you for their bags?

At Aldi you can bring your own, use boxes, buy their bags etc.

I already have washable bags that I use.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@icezeus wrote:

@northiie57 wrote:

@northiie57 

Same here in California, except for the Wal Mart that I shop at for groceries. I took my own bags once, and they told me that that could not bag my items in my bags. What??? Whatever, so now I just pay for their bags to avoid the hassle

@icezeus 

Walmart in Ca does not have the plastic bags so they make you buy theirs instead of using your own?

That's ridiculous. When they stop with plastic here I will be using my own. I'm not paying to use theirs. I will just check myself out?

I guess if you order groceries for pickup they charge you for their bags?

At Aldi you can bring your own, use boxes, buy their bags etc.

I already have washable bags that I use.

@Nightowlz 

This incident happened early last year or the prior year. I have never tried since then to bring my own bags.

It might have been due to COVID. 

Respected Contributor

@icezeus  For awhile my local Supermarket did not allow bringing in your own bags and if you did  later on when thing eased up you had to bag your own. This was during the lockdown and wipe down period of Covid. Plexiglass barriers arrived etc. Checkers wiping everything down.  Now it is back to normal.

I would bring in my wine bottle carriers to the liquor store and had to bag my own wine and lift the bags to my cart. I love those as otherwise they have to wrap each bottle in a separate brown bag which is a waste.  The checkers love the wine carriers.They also give you $.05 credit, for each of your own bags if you bring your own.This market offers the paper bags upon request which I like for reusing.

Our Wal-Mart take plastic bags as does this supermarket. I find if I use self serve checkout I use half the bags as checkers usually use more.