Respected Contributor

Does Shakespeare need to be "translated" to modern English?

Spoiler

There was an interesting article in today's Washington Post about this topic.

There is actually a collective effort by top writers to do this....

I am not thrilled with this idea at all...

I would to hear opinions about this.

What is being taught these days? 

I grew up with William in my class at an early age. In high school, I held onto my teacher's every word as she explained antiquated language, history or background information-and the absolute wonder I had that somebody thought about every single word....meter and meaning....

Of course, we were shown Franco Zefferellies' Romeo and Juliet: I loved and appreciated the skill of the leads all the more in their believable delivery.

Do we really need to do this to keep something pertinent and alive???

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

Re: Does Shakespeare need to be "translated" to modern English?

Everything seems to be 'dumbed down' today.  

I have noticed that Jeopardy questions have become easier.  When I can answer 80% of them, I know they have changed.  

So I agree with you that Shakespeare should be taught as we learned, but I fear that will not happen.

Honored Contributor

NO, NO, NO !!!! The language is beautiful, leave it alone.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2Having spent my whole working life in public schools, I can tell you whether "translation" is needed has more to do with "audience" than it does with the material.  Students who are already comfortable with written language when they encounter Shakespeare with a decent teacher are fascinated like you were with the stories, the themes, the language, the history, 

Unfortunately, plenty of kids reach high school without that ease with language -  for all kinds of reasons.  My younger brother and I reacted to those lessons (same school, same teachers so more than likely same lesson plans) with completely different issues.  I loved them as you did.  He just wanted to pass so he could play basketball! 

Was the failure his or the teacher's?   Would translation have helped?  I can't begin to tell you, but I know he was years beyond high school and even college before he hit his stride with written language - and even today after working his way to international recognition in his own field, you never see a book in his home.

Shakespeare had amazing psychological and social knowledge way beyond his time, had wonderful stories with which to entertain, and while I'd love for his language to be accessible to all, it's only one part of what there is to teach and learn from his works.  Depending upon my audience, I'd be happy with some if I thought I couldn't get all.  I know I watched high school kids who could barely read rap lyrics argue over whether Macbeth or his Lady was controlling that marriage -  and that was its own kind of success.

Respected Contributor

Unfortunately, just like the kiddies need to be "entertained" in class, so do they need material they can "relate to".  Case in point... the Broadway show Hamilton.  The thing is, if that's what it takes for them to be interested and learn....

Respected Contributor

No.  Students need to learn how to read and interpret.  The language of Shakespeare is amazing and should be appreciated.  The more we continue to make things "easy" for our kids, the more difficult things will be for them.  Do we expect businesses to change the work assignments to make it easy for the 40 yr old who had to have things altered to suit them?  Maybe medical school should change the verbiage in text books to make it more simple. 

Respected Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

Unfortunately, just like the kiddies need to be "entertained" in class, so do they need material they can "relate to".  Case in point... the Broadway show Hamilton.  The thing is, if that's what it takes for them to be interested and learn....

The play Hamilton has done more to reach those who would otherwise think it is not their story then a lot of history classes. And I say that as someone with a  bachelors undergrad degree in history and political science. 

Every generation has needed to be entertained in class, around a campfire, in watching the actual Shakespeare plays. This is how we learn.

Respected Contributor

Can any of you speak Hebrew or Arabic or Russian  or fluent  in Mandarin or Spanish etc? A lot of these kids who you say are getting things done the easy way can and do. So while you are worrying about Shakespeare being "dumbed" down these kids are translating in their heads from one language to another. So who is the dummy?

Also exactly where is the spoiler??

Esteemed Contributor

Forsooth. . .

There were translations of Shakespeare into modern English already available 50 years ago.

How many times does it need translation?

Methinks this collective effort of so-called "top writers" is more about these writers wanting to see their name on the same page as Mr Shakespeare's, and having students Google info that has links to their name and other works for generations to come. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

@SaRina wrote:

The play Hamilton has done more to reach those who would otherwise think it is not their story then a lot of history classes. And I say that as someone with a  bachelors undergrad degree in history and political science. 

Every generation has needed to be entertained in class, around a campfire, in watching the actual Shakespeare plays. This is how we learn.

I absolutely agree with this.  However, I have to say... I didn't need to be entertained in class throughout my school career...nor did my classmates. I think somewhere along the way, we (parents and teachers) eased up in our expectations, sadly.