Esteemed Contributor

Re: Does It Bother You When Doctors Make You Wait

First, I understand that an emergency situation can happen that will result in a longer wait.  However, if an emergency arises, it should be the practice to notify those patients waiting that the doctor will be delayed.  Then those patients can choose to wait or reschedule or be seen by a PA or CRNP.  No medical practice should ever assume that the patients have nothing else to do and can wait.

As far as patients already in exam rooms......yes, they too should be advised of the emergency and make their own choices.  The nurses know when their provider is behind , therefore, IMO,  no patient should be left waiting at length in a gown or in an awkward position.

Unfortunately,  I know firsthand that some doctors don't worry about any of that.  Even though they have patients waiting some will stop to talk with a drug rep, have a bite to eat, etc.   

30 minutes is more than enough time to wait without being given the courtesy of a reason.  The biggest problem is that trying to reschedule an appt is often pushing that appt off for weeks or months.

I think it's important to tell your doctor exactly how you feel about being kept waiting with no explanation.   It's also not ok to berate the staff; they are just following the doctor's orders.  

Highlighted
Contributor

Years ago, I use to go to a dentist, she only worked 10-3.  She was very nice and a great dentist.  I noticed everytime I had an appoitment at 10 I was always 10:20 to 10:30 getting called back.  Her office was very small and she only scheduled 1 person per hour, so I could see her pull into her parking spot from the waiting room.  One day the receptionist told me to not to be there till at least 10:15 when I had a 10:00 appointment,  I ask why.  She said the dentist didn't leave her home to come to the office till 10 and she lived 15 to 20 minutes away.  She was still told to schedule patients to be there at 10.

She has since retired, I didn't think much of it at the time, but it was kind of inconsiderate that she had patients scheduled at 10, knowing she would not be there.  And this was always the case, I had several family members go to her.  I think her patient's time was as important as hers.  

I always scheduled on my days off from work,  so I guess that's why I didn't think much of it.   

Esteemed Contributor

I only schedule the first appointment of the day and never arrive early. Usually I have a 10/15 min wait anyway. The only time I don't mind waiting is if the doc has to deliver a baby. They were there for me so I want them there for deliveries.

Honored Contributor

It doesn't bother me if the delay is a random occurrence -  could be due to an emergency, a patient with unanticipated needs, etc.   What does bother me is when delay seems to be booked into the schedule and  I've changed doctors because of that.

Not sure I'd change today;  it's hard enough to get an appointment with the doctors with whom I've already had experience let alone being a new patient.

Honored Contributor

Years ago when I had a non-hmo, it was normal to wait and wait.

Years later, with a popular HMO-ish type, I rarely have to wait, maybe about ten minutes or so.

They seem to have everything in order, so to speak.  Not rushed, etc.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

There is no need to wait and just because they are doctors doesn't mean their time is more valuable than theirs. Now if they have an emergency with another patient that is a different deal. It is all in how things are scheduled and if the person doing it is realistic about how long an appointment should take depending on the reason you are there. They know why you are there as they always ask what it is about that you are making an appointment for. I say anything over fifteen minutes and it is a problem. I always make sure I am a few minutes early and I don't count that against them. Luckily I don't have to wait with any of our doctors be it medical, dentist or eye.

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2  I think Gynos are the worst! I'm so glad that's over and done with! I have white coat syndrome, so the longer I'm kept waiting, the higher my BP gets! When the doctor comments, I tell him, don't make me wait so long!

Honored Contributor

@reiki604  👍🏾

@Abrowneyegirl  👍🏾

*taking notes*

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

I had a doctor's appointment years ago, and I got there in plenty of time, but it was the doctor who was late.

How late, you ask?

Fifty-five minutes late.

I was going to give the doctor 1 hour, before I was going to rebook.

I know that sometimes they have emergencies, which this one did have, but even my patience was getting thin.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

I was in the same situation years ago as the OP...I got up -got dressed and informed the front desk I was leaving...unless the nurse comes in to tell me there is an emergency I would not wait....and the desk should tell you if the doctor is running behind...it's only fair as the patient is not allowed to miss their appointment..some places charge if you don't show up.