Honored Contributor

Does It Bother You When Doctors Make You Wait

I went to the gynecologist today, I had an 11:45 appointment. I was taken in on time to the exam room, however I sat in my birthday suit wearing just a paper gown for at least 35 minutes. I would rather sit in the waiting room than sit the majority of my time in the exam room. This has nothing to do with the new rules of Covid19, she always makes me wait. I see another doctor I have waited three hours for, sitting in the exam room for an hour. Everyone complains in the waiting room, but no one ever leaves. These doctors never even offer an apology like your time isn't worth anything. The medical assistants close the door on you, they never check back with you, like "Oh he's running a little late he'll be right with you". The only doctor I have ever gone to that doesn't make me wait is my ophthalmologist. You can get there early and you'll probably get in before your appointment time. And by God, he runs his appointment schedule like a tight ship, patients get in and get out.

Honored Contributor

Re: Does It Bother You When Doctors Make You Wait

Over 30 minutes with no valid explanation I am rebooking the appt

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Guess I am fortunate that I cannot remember the last time a doctor made me wait more than 10 minutes at the most.

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

Over 30 minutes with no valid explanation I am rebooking the appt

@I am still oxox I already psyched myself up for the exam, also I was already there I wasn't going to leave.

Honored Contributor

I haven't been to a regular doctor in ages but, well until right now, I was still going to the dentist every 6mos and I'm one of those 'always on time' people, so I do my part.

I can get annoyed, although I understand there are many variables.  But the ONE variable that angers me is when everybody else throughout a given day ends up having to wait a long time because some cretin showed up late for his/her appointment.   I'm sure people like that just don't care that their behavior affects a lot of others and that's probably what makes me even more angry.

Honored Contributor

Does it bother me?   Yes

But they only do it once.

I needed an echo, everything off from the waist up, put on a gown & started the wait.   I was the only one in the waiting room.   It was between noon and 12:30.   All of a sudden I start hearing what sounded like a number of people going down the hall.    It was lunchtime and they were going to leave me there in the gown until lunch was over.

I got dressed, went to lunch myself.

They were looking for me when I strolled back in.

They got an earful.

Never happened again

You have to speak up

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

In an attempt to remain profitable, some offices schedule more patients per hour. Whether or not they do this, all it takes is one patient who requires extra time to throw an entire schedule off. And sometimes I've been that patient who needed the extra time or had more questions. 

I went to my GYN appt today and it was right on time.  BUT....I finally scheduled with the PA as my doctor called to reschedule my appointment twice. I found out she is semi-retired now, working 2 days a week between two offices, and has her 90+ year old mother living with her. So, I guess I'll keep seeing the PA .....she has quite a few gray hairs and wrinkles,  but I didn't dare ask how old she was or if she was retiring shortly. LOL

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Last summer I had a toothache on a tooth that my oral surgeon had worked on a few months before.  I called to see him as an emergency and they squeezed me in.  Yes I was grateful but the receptionist told me to come in at 12:30 and I didn't see him until 4:30 when his day was almost over....and I was in a lot of pain!

I actually went to sit in the car for a while (it was nice out) since I was so uncomfortable sitting on his hard chairs in the waiting room while in a lot of pain.

That really annoyed me...why didn't they tell me to come in later in the day?!!  

Respected Contributor

No.

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

Last summer I had a toothache on a tooth that my oral surgeon had worked on a few months before.  I called to see him as an emergency and they squeezed me in.  Yes I was grateful but the receptionist told me to come in at 12:30 and I didn't see him until 4:30 when his day was almost over....and I was in a lot of pain!

I actually went to sit in the car for a while (it was nice out) since I was so uncomfortable sitting on his hard chairs in the waiting room while in a lot of pain.

That really annoyed me...why didn't they tell me to come in later in the day?!!  

Oh, that's just very, very wrong!  I'm sorry you had to go through that.  I don't think I would have lasted that long, but the really sukky thing is that you really didn't have much of any choice.  Smiley Sad