Trusted Contributor

Does HSN skew younger than QVC?

I feel HSN skews much younger then QVC. Its younger, trendier and much more fresh vibe. QVC lately is skewing to the demo of 50 plus
Honored Contributor

Re: Does HSN skew younger than QVC?

Not sure, the people who called in when the Beekman guys were on Evine all sounded to me like they were 80 and older. 

Respected Contributor

I think HSN is always trying to appeal to younger shoppers, but I don't think younger people 20's, 30's (maybe 40's) shop that way.....and I don't think they can change that demographic.  They're just not going to sit in front of a TV and watch a shopping channel.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

My relatives in their twenties and thirties have never even heard of QVC or HSN.

Trusted Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

My relatives in their twenties and thirties have never even heard of QVC or HSN.

I had to laugh because that sums it up.

Honored Contributor

I think they do. 

Respected Contributor

Young........older.........whatever.

HSN is nowhere near the taste level of QVC.

Respected Contributor

I'm not a snob about "taste."  I just order from wherever or whomever has what I want at a price I think is good.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don’t think either shopping network can attract a bevy of millenials (18 - 35), but I think @JONNYSBRO is definitely on to something.  

I think QVC heavily leans to their 60 and over market, still heavily promoting older brands and styles of yesteryear.  These shoppers tend to buy on loyalty and familiarity (I often read “I’ve been buying Susan Graver for 20 years!”). But in addition, I think the Q is definitely trying to understand the buying preferences of the younger market every day, hence the Beauty iQ channel with permanent Elise & Courtney hosts, and the new younger hosts hired and hosting on the regular channel.   But I think younger for QVC realistically means 35 - 55, not 20’s & early 30’s.  

HSN seems much more prepared and inviting to the 35 - 55 market.  They take more risks with more stylish clothes and shoes, for one thing.  These are the customers that shop around a lot and require more deals like free shipping days, flex pays, and coupons.  They have less personal attachments to hosts and just want a great shopping experience.

Honored Contributor

I do not think so.  Most  of the HSN clothing  lines are just as frumpy as QVC's. I think they both gear towards the 55 and up crowd.