Esteemed Contributor

Re: Does Being Alone At Night Bother You?

@apple1964 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@bathina wrote:

If you're not afraid, why would you have loaded guns easily accessible? Asking for a friend...😳

Think the better statement is that you are not afraid BECAUSE you have a gun.  Just as others have said they are not afraid because they have dogs.

Well, I am not afraid and I have neither a gun or a dog or a house alarm for that matter. I do have two cats though, wouldn’t be much help.

Nothing wrong with that.  Never said you had to have anything to not be afraid. 

I would more afraid of the people who own guns.

That is a shame, but your choice.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Valued Contributor

I am always staggered by the people who have a fear of gun owners.

Perhaps they never travel or broaden their horizons by considering that not everyone lives exactly as they do.

I'm an American Indian.  I don't live on the rez now but I have lots of extended family who do.  They rely on hunting.  Not all meat comes prepackaged in styrofoam containers.  Believe it or not, there are still people who hunt for food in the United States.

A lot of people enjoy shooting competitively.  Skeet shooting is just one example of a type of shooting competition.  Why would anyone fear that?

Some people collect antique firearms or have heirlooms from family members.  Why fear that?

Getting back to the original question, I am not afraid of the dark. 

I am frequently armed.  I live in the Tetons.  I am not particularly afraid of humans.  My home is secure.  I am afraid of some of the animals who roam nearby.  Has anyone seen a bull moose?  They can grow to 10 feet tall and they can weigh 1500 lbs.  Grizzlies and mountain lions are pretty overwhelming, too.  

I cross country ski, I hike, and I go to some pretty remote places.  I enjoy photography.  Perhaps some people can't imagine that.  Maybe they live their lives in cities surrounded by people. 

I've done that, too.  I've lived in NYC, Southern California, and Europe.

If you don't want a gun, don't get one.  There are legitimate reasons why others own them that have nothing to do with you.      

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@apple1964 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@bathina wrote:

If you're not afraid, why would you have loaded guns easily accessible? Asking for a friend...😳

Think the better statement is that you are not afraid BECAUSE you have a gun.  Just as others have said they are not afraid because they have dogs.

Well, I am not afraid and I have neither a gun or a dog or a house alarm for that matter. I do have two cats though, wouldn’t be much help.

Nothing wrong with that.  Never said you had to have anything to not be afraid. 

I would more afraid of the people who own guns.

That is a shame, but your choice.

It is a shame indeed.  But to each their own.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@bathina wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@bathina wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@bathina wrote:

I would suggest you wouldn't have a gun/s unless you were afraid to begin with. Most people have dogs for love and companionship, not protection. Protection is a bonus. If you have a dog only for protection it suggests you're afraid of something. Same with having 7 loaded guns within easy reach.

If that is how you choose to see it, that is fine.  Guess you could say the same thing about locking your doors at night.  We will just have to agree to disagree.

Absolutely. We lock our doors because we fear someone coming into our house uninvited. We buy a gun because we're afraid someone or something may want to harm us. We live with 7 loaded guns in our house because we are petrified of someone or something. To say you are not afraid because you have a gun means you were afraid when you decided you needed it. Common sense- no need to agree to disagree.

@bathina   Interesting statement.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@froggy wrote:

@bathina wrote:

@froggy wrote:

@bathina wrote:

That's why I'm not afraid.

What were you afraid of that caused you to be armed?

We frequently have illegal border crossers trekking through our subdivision. Never know when one could be violent.

@froggyTrips to the border during the day do not mean a darn thing.  Let them go at night when ranchers are told to go home because their land is marked for drug deals for the evening.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

Only if I can't fall asleep. I am 81 so I don't know how much longer I will live.

Respected Contributor

Being home alone, day or night, does not bother me.  Over the years, frequently my husband stayed in the city while I was here. The only time it bothered me was when it stormed.

We do not own a gun and have never considered buying one.

Honored Contributor

Being alone doesn't bother me.  We have an alarm system and no weapons.

My husband doesn't travel out of town very often, but the last time he did, he was gone for a week.  He only was supposed to stay 2 nights.  Anyway, I was fine. 

I do worry about my daughter staying in her apartment.  It's a college town; it's relatively safe, but still I worry even though she has 2 roommates. 

We bought her the Simpli Safe Alarm.  It's portable and works through the wifi.  It doesn't need to be hard-wired at all.  Those girls were so happy when we brought it there and set it up.  It's a very nice system!

Honored Contributor

I'm not afraid to be alone at any time, but being the daughter of a former LE officer, and later a criminal justice instructor, I'm very aware and proactive about my surroundings and security. I was raised to be situationaly aware and schooled on what can and does happen in the world, and how to avoid/protect/anticipate.

My husband has worked nights for almost 20 years, and I raised my son being home alone at least 5 nights a week, out in the country where it is so dark and no lights, that you can't see your hand in front of your face most nights outside (or inside if the power is out!). Son is grown and gone, and I'm alone every night now, sometimes on the weekends too when my husband is away teaching rifle marksmanship courses.

My widowed elderly mother lives across the field from me, and if I do worry, it is about her. Over the years we have had several things happen here, that would make others very afraid.

Once, a man broke down out in front of our house at 2 am. He rang the bell, and banged on the door and wouldn't go away. I was alone with a baby and had no intention of answering. I finally called the sheriff and the response time out here is at least 20 minutes, can be much longer. When they finally came and found him walking up the road, he had been driving a stolen car and had warrants out for his arrest. I wasn't afraid, but concerned he would go up to my mom's get her awake (she is very disoriented when she is awakened) and she might open the door. 

Another morning, my husband went out to get in his truck and go to work (this was back when he worked days) and there was a man inside. We weren't sure at first if he was dead or passed out. Turned out he was passed out drunk, and had run his van into a muddy field up the hill. Our truck looked like a good place to sleep it off!

There was another time that I caught a man back in the woods watching the houses in the middle of the day, while I was out mowing. I confronted him and warned him he was trespassing and lucky he wasn't shot. Never saw him again. 

So we have had people up to no good come around, regardless of how remote we live, but like others, that is why we have layers of protection. We updated and improved our windows and doors and locks, always have a dog, have a healthy arsenal, keep doors locked, particularly after dark, and have backup communications capabilities between mom's house and mine, including certain lighting signals to let me know when she is in trouble and has no phone.

I consider my safety at home and on our properties to be my responsibility. I cannot rely on neighbors, they are too far away to see or hear much. I can't rely on the law, they are too far away and understaffed. The actual sherff's department is a good 15 minute drive from us. Sometimes our county has only one deputy on duty for the entire county. Not much chance help will be just minutes away is he is on the other end of the county when the call comes in. Even our fire department, though just a couple of miles from the house, is volunteer, and has a slower response time than those in cities would be used to. 

So we have put practice, procedures and protection in place, leaving us with the peace of mind that we are doing all we can, and have it as under control as is possible. Because of that, and because of the way we were raised by an LE parent, I have no issues being alone at night, and don't fear it at all.

Honored Contributor

@halfpint1 wrote:

Only if I can't fall asleep. I am 81 so I don't know how much longer I will live.

<3 I am much younger then you and understand how you feel.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**