Respected Contributor

Re: Does Being Alone At Night Bother You?

I live alone. Generally being alone at night doesn't bother me. Sometimes I think about what would happen if someone broke in. I live in a first floor apartment that faces the street so it is easy access, but I figure if someone wants to do something, they will. I keep my phone by my bedside at night and my bedroom door has a lock. I have no guns but I carry pepper spray.

Esteemed Contributor

Everyone needs to decide what is right for themselves to be safe.  On and beyond the obvious locks and/or alarm systems, whether you get a dog for protection or want a gun is a personal choice. I feel I am responsible for my own safety whether in my home or out in the world. I use common sense,look in the backseat before getting in the car, aware of my surroundings, If I were younger ,and going out with friends,  never leave a drink unattended, etc.

The only time I was nervous around here was almost 40 yrs. ago. There was a family was murdered in town.It was a family dispute, their  teenage girl and her boyfriend killed the parents and a sibling.  This little village was crawling with State Pollice and FBI (they thought they crossed state lines). I wasn't afraid of the kids that killed the people, but everyone around here with gun and a pickup truck was on the back roads at night with spotlights looking for them. I am shocked someone didn't get hurt. It was summer and I wouldn't even sit on my deck. BTW, the kids were long gone and found several states away days later.

Esteemed Contributor

@PamelaSue72  If you are afraid the power will go out just have flameless candles all around set at different times. Or lights on timers.

I have a whole house generator because the power goes off a lot. There is a wait time of several minutes before it comes on to prevent it stopping & starting. Because lights & flameless candles are on there’s no problem.

Respected Contributor

@bathina wrote:

@froggy wrote:

@bathina wrote:

If you're not afraid, why would you have loaded guns easily accessible? Asking for a friend...😳

That's why I'm not afraid.

What were you afraid of that caused you to be armed?

We frequently have illegal border crossers trekking through our subdivision. Never know when one could be violent.

Honored Contributor

Not at all.  I think a lot of that comes from the fact that my father worked different shifts, one of them being night shift where he worked from 11 p.m. until 7 a.m.  My sister, mom and I were alone all night when he worked that shift and my mom was never afraid.

My DH used to work various shifts, including that same night shift and it never bothered me.  Now there are plenty of nights when he works all night or gets called in during the night and I'm alone. 

Actually sometimes I enjoy being home by myself with just my dog.  LOL  

Valued Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

I don't mind at all. DH used to work 12 hr. swing shift so I was often alone.  We used to have a dog that was wonderful as a companion,  but I would have had to pick up all 70lbs of him and throw him for protection.Give him a MilkBone and he would have pointed out my jewelery.

I would often do my grocery shopping at night when he was working and never worried about coming into an empty house.

I always said my Coco would offer to hold the flashlight. 

This sota girl says pop, duck, duck, gray duck and loves tater tot hotdish
Honored Contributor

Years ago my husband was away over night for some reason I don't remember, my son was about 5 years old. We live in the boonies, the power went out, we were scared sh--less. We brought our huge German Shepherd in the house, which she hated because it was hot and no air conditioner or fan, and got the baseball bat out. I was up all night, the power was out for about 16 hours. No I don't ever want to be alone over night.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Sometimes I do...we live in a gated community but on our back side is woods...and I watch too many ID shows.Man Embarassed

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@bathina wrote:

If you're not afraid, why would you have loaded guns easily accessible? Asking for a friend...😳

Think the better statement is that you are not afraid BECAUSE you have a gun.  Just as others have said they are not afraid because they have dogs.

Well, I am not afraid and I have neither a gun or a dog or a house alarm for that matter. I do have two cats though, wouldn’t be much help.

Nothing wrong with that.  Never said you had to have anything to not be afraid. 

I would more afraid of the people who own guns.

Respected Contributor

No, because  a neighbor kid, age 18 robbed me knowing I lived alone and went to work in the daytime.  He did the same to another single older woman who was at work.He was a Grandson of a neighbor I knew for 30 years!. Let my dog loose who knew him and the door wide open. I suspected this kid. They finally put him away after 8 home robberies. I feel safer now, even at night as home more. I have a new dead bolt lock and new door.