Esteemed Contributor

Re: Does Being Alone At Night Bother You?

[ Edited ]

@bathina wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@bathina wrote:

If you're not afraid, why would you have loaded guns easily accessible? Asking for a friend...😳

Think the better statement is that you are not afraid BECAUSE you have a gun.  Just as others have said they are not afraid because they have dogs.

I would suggest you wouldn't have a gun/s unless you were afraid to begin with. Most people have dogs for love and companionship, not protection. Protection is a bonus. If you have a dog only for protection it suggests you're afraid of something. Same with having 7 loaded guns within easy reach.

If that is how you choose to see it, that is fine.  Guess you could say the same thing about locking your doors at night.  We will just have to agree to disagree.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@bathina wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@bathina wrote:

If you're not afraid, why would you have loaded guns easily accessible? Asking for a friend...😳

Think the better statement is that you are not afraid BECAUSE you have a gun.  Just as others have said they are not afraid because they have dogs.

I would suggest you wouldn't have a gun/s unless you were afraid to begin with. Most people have dogs for love and companionship, not protection. Protection is a bonus. If you have a dog only for protection it suggests you're afraid of something. Same with having 7 loaded guns within easy reach.

If that is how you choose to see it, that is fine.  Guess you could say the same thing about locking your doors at night.  We will just have to agree to disagree.

Absolutely. We lock our doors because we fear someone coming into our house uninvited. We buy a gun because we're afraid someone or something may want to harm us. We live with 7 loaded guns in our house because we are petrified of someone or something. To say you are not afraid because you have a gun means you were afraid when you decided you needed it. Common sense- no need to agree to disagree.

Esteemed Contributor

@bathina wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@bathina wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@bathina wrote:

Absolutely. We lock our doors because we fear someone coming into our house uninvited. We buy a gun because we're afraid someone or something may want to harm us. We live with 7 loaded guns in our house because we are petrified of someone or something. To say you are not afraid because you have a gun means you were afraid when you decided you needed it. Common sense- no need to agree to disagree.

Not going to argue with you, we have different opinion, lets move on.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There is nothing wrong with a little fear. Meaning, there are individuals, I believe, that think they’re safer and less likely to be caught committing a crime at night. In this day and age, I think we all need to take some precautions no matter where we live. Our house is in a very nice community in San Diego. We have crime. We also have a security system, always lock our doors and own a large dog. My DH has guns. I’m rarely alone since my DH is retired. Still, there are times he’s away overnight,  and I’m not as comfortable at night as during the day.  Everyone’s different and should do what works for them...JMO

~H~
Respected Contributor

@SleeplessinSD wrote:

There is nothing wrong with a little fear. Meaning, there are individuals, I believe, that think they’re safer and less likely to be caught committing a crime at night. In this day and age, I think we all need to take some precautions no matter where we live. Our house is in a very nice community in San Diego. We have crime. We also have a security system, always lock our doors and own a large dog. My DH has guns. I’m rarely alone since my DH is retired. Still, there are times he’s away overnight,  and I’m not as comfortable at night as during the day.  Everyone’s different and should do what works for them...JMO

Agree. There is nothing wrong with a little fear. In fact, it's what drives us in many aspects of our lives. We get to work on time because we fear being fired. We have annual checkups because we fear getting sick, we don't cheat on our taxes because we fear the consequences. We arm ourselves because we fear being harmed by others. It's natural and to deny it seems illogical and ridiculous.

Respected Contributor

No. I have a gun with a bullet in the chamber in my nightstand. It has an easy to flip safety that is easy for me to use - even with my arthritic hands.

Respected Contributor

@bathina wrote:

That's why I'm not afraid.

Respected Contributor

@froggy wrote:

@bathina wrote:

That's why I'm not afraid.

What were you afraid of that caused you to be armed?

Honored Contributor

My husband used to be a boy scout master and often took the boys on camping trips.  I was never afraid for the 2 to 3 nights he was gone.  I always felt safe in my neighborhood.  I still do.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

@bathina,

I have lived on this piece of land my entire life; near a main road, but rural.   If you don’t live out here, you pretty much have no reason to be out here is how we look at it.  

I have never been afraid here, but about 20 years ago on a warm summer night, we did have a very stupid young man open up our side door and walk inside our house.   He backed out that same door looking down the barrel of a 12 gauge shotgun.   

My family, and my husbands family were hunters, and we always had loaded guns in the house.   We were taught to use them, and respect them from a very young age.   My husband and I taught the same to our daughters; both are over 35, have concealed weapon permits and own numerous guns.  5 of the 7 loaded guns in this house belong to them.   

Fear does not factor in as to why we have guns.