Honored Contributor

Re: Does Being Alone At Night Bother You?

Being alone at anytime does not bother me.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@bathina wrote:

If you're not afraid, why would you have loaded guns easily accessible? Asking for a friend...😳

Think the better statement is that you are not afraid BECAUSE you have a gun.  Just as others have said they are not afraid because they have dogs.

Well, I am not afraid and I have neither a gun or a dog or a house alarm for that matter. I do have two cats though, wouldn’t be much help.

Honored Contributor

I am a little nervous at night even though dh is there.We have many homeless people 8n our area and I worry that someone will want to break in to get money for drugs or alcohol.I would hope if they do break in that they would just take the alcohol we have and leave.We have many bottles that are so old and nobody wants to drink them...LOL.I just hope they leave the wine as that we do enjoy.

Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@bathina wrote:

If you're not afraid, why would you have loaded guns easily accessible? Asking for a friend...😳

Think the better statement is that you are not afraid BECAUSE you have a gun.  Just as others have said they are not afraid because they have dogs.

Well, I am not afraid and I have neither a gun or a dog or a house alarm for that matter. I do have two cats though, wouldn’t be much help.

Nothing wrong with that.  Never said you had to have anything to not be afraid. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@bathina wrote:

Same here but I also have no cats or even a goldfish.  I have been living alone since 1999 and during my marriage my husband traveled out of state quite a bit.  So I learned early on living out in the country, no neighbors, or even street lights back in those days.  My Grandmother taught me that if "they" were coming to get her she would be well rested.  I just practiced the same. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

No, as long as I have light. I am deathly afraid of complete darkness and, for years when DH was away, I wouldn't even go back into the bedroom once it got dark. I'd sleep on the sofa in the living room with all the lights on. Now, as long as it's not dark, I'm OK. I can go to sleep in bed as long as the television in the bedroom is on....doesn't have to be loud, just so I can hear it over any sounds the house might make.

I honestly don't know what would happen if I was alone in the house at night and the power went off. I'd probably have a heart attack on the spot.

Again, it's more of a being in the dark alone kind of thing than being afraid of somebody trying to break into the house.

I never advertise the fact that I'm alone on FB or any where else. Nor do I mention on social media that we're going on vacation on such-and-such a date. I always thought that was stupid to tell everybody on social media that one is going on vacation. Why not just open the front door and say, "C'mon in! Rob me blind!".

Respected Contributor

I've never liked being alone at night...rural area, police/fire would probably take 15-20 minutes at best, neighbors not close enough to hear/see anything really.

When our 105 pound Lab was still alive, I felt a lot safer. He would NOT let anyone he didn't know near me. When the UPS man would bring packages, Jake would stand sideways between me and him. He never barked or growled, but he wouldn't move either! The guy would have to hand me packages over Jake. 

We had some tile work done in our kitchen, took 2 days. Jake would not go outside the whole time they were in the house. He laid right there in the mudroom, where they had to come in and out, and made them walk around him! I think all I would've had to do was squeak, and Jake would've come to the rescue!

Trusted Contributor

Husband was a RN and worked graveyard shift for 25 years. So no.

Respected Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@bathina wrote:

I would suggest you wouldn't have a gun/s unless you were afraid to begin with. Most people have dogs for love and companionship, not protection. Protection is a bonus. If you have a dog only for protection it suggests you're afraid of something. Same with having 7 loaded guns within easy reach.

Trusted Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2   I don't mind being home alone at night.  Sometimes my husband has to work.  The only time I get spooked is when my cat is sitting on my lap and then stands up and starts starring out the sliding glass door that is to my back like someone is there.   As soon as I get the nerve to stand up there's nothing there.  I think my cat just likes to occasionally mess with my head, the little brat !!!