Esteemed Contributor

Re: Does Being Alone At Night Bother You?

Our dog was 1/2 Bassett 1/2 Springer Spaniel. Springer coloring built like a Bassett. Mom and Dad "dated" by mistake. Nice dog, but for having hunting dog in him he couldn't find an elephant in a phone booth. Barked his tail off when we came home,anyone else the tail wagged.

We joked that for him to bite someone he'd have to lie down so you could put a hand in his mouth and push on his head.

Respected Contributor

I’m glad DH is retired now, I did hear noises a lot at night when I was alone, and did a lot of sleeping with one eye open 🙁.

Honored Contributor

no, not at all.......never has and hopefully never will.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

My husband worked the midnight shift for 35 years, so I was home alone with small children as well as teenagers and young adults depending on year.  My kids grew up with no dad home at night.

At first I was scared and used to be up all night listening for strange noises.  After a while, I figured I needed my sleep.  Since our bedrooms were always in the second floor, I told myself that if someone came upstairs I would deal with them, but if they stayed  the first floor, I'd keep keep on sleeping.

I have to admit that I worried when my children were babies and very young.  I worried about protecting them. Once my boys got to be teenagers, I used to say I would feel sorry for anyone who was brave to come into our home without permission.

Now I am used to it and don't mind.

My DH is retired from that job and it has taken some getting used to- to learn to share the bed.  We both slept on the same side...me at night and he during the day.  I made him move over, but now he sleeps in the middle.

Respected Contributor

Not  usually, but more since I am a widow.  One night a few weeks ago I was suddenly woke up by a very loud noise and my dogs started barking like crazy. I call 911 and said I think someone is trying to break in my house. The officers were here in two minutes, couldn't find a thing.It may have been snow slidong off the roof. It is comforting to know they are here to help. But I still wonder about it.

I have motion lights outside and also leave a dimmer light in the kitchen and dining room and one in my bathroom. Also double  locks on my doors.

mm

"Cats are like potato chips, you can never have just one".
Honored Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

Not really. My hubby traveled quite a bit and when he went to Europe, he would be gone 2-3 weeks. I had a couple of large dogs so I was fine and a security system as well.

However, one night my hubby came in earlier than expected and had trouble with his keys. Well, Max wasn't having any of it. DH finally got the door open a crack and Max wouldn't let him in, lol. I had to go downstairs and confirm he was allowed in the house.

@riley1 

LOL!

That reminds me of a spider monkey (think organ grinder's monkey) I had growing up!

He would sleep on the curtain rods in the LR while we were watching tv and my stepfather returned home from being out at sea and yelled, "Surprise!".

Well, he was surprised all right, Chips came flying off the curtain rod and attacked him!

It was the funniest thing, thanks for the memories!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

No, I have never been afraid here.   However, we are always prepared, and have 7 loaded guns ready if needed.    

Honored Contributor

I don't have a choice, hubby passed in 2013.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Often my husband goes hiking or up to our cabin. I like to have the house to myself on those occasions. I would eat stuff that he didn't care for. And watch movies he wasn't interested in watching. A win - win.

And when I used to work in retail around Christmastime. I would often work until midnight, sometimes 1 am. It was the best time to go grocery shopping. You would have the store to yourself. 

Honored Contributor

No.  That includes not having house alarms but in later years house alarms.  We live in different times and if I owned a house now, I would definitely have a house alarm.

kindness is strength