Esteemed Contributor

Does Being Alone At Night Bother You?

I don't mind at all. DH used to work 12 hr. swing shift so I was often alone.  We used to have a dog that was wonderful as a companion,  but I would have had to pick up all 70lbs of him and throw him for protection.Give him a MilkBone and he would have pointed out my jewelery.

I would often do my grocery shopping at night when he was working and never worried about coming into an empty house.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Does Being Alone At Night Bother You?

No, it doesn't bother me, because I know I can defend myself if needed. I don't go shopping at night; I dislike driving at night and once the sun sets, I'm in for the duration.

Trusted Contributor

Your posts just crack me up.  So funny.  My husband works late every Tuesday night and  I have the night all to myself, see friends, relax, read, whatever.  I love it.  And.... not make dinner!  I'm not afraid at all.

Honored Contributor

I was concerned about being alone at night in one of our homes as it seemed to have a few vulnerable spots for a break-in.  Otherwise, I’m okay being on my own.  My dog fully expects me to protect him😏

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

It use to, but my husband has had to work so many night shifts I have gotten over it.

Honored Contributor

Well, this brings to mind while I was raising 2 young boys and my best (and still closest friend) was my neighbor who was raising 2 girls alone.

My spouse was like "dad" to all the kids.  Our neighborhood overnight started to change when the older folks died.  There was several issues:  the houses were sitting there empty for months, they built a pizza/bar at the end of our street (typical for city), and frankly, craziness all night long!

So, yes since spouse got a promotion his new shift was 11pm-7pm.  One night the house was totally quiet, kids in bed and of course, me being a "night owl" I heard "something" -- omg, someone was stealing my car!  Well, after that this really made me think every noise I heard was "disaster".  

About 5 weeks later I was hearing rumbling - (we had 2 story home) it was about 1 am & I was freaked out!  I called my neighbor and said "I think there is someone trying to break in".  She said "I'll look" but don't you think you should call the police?"

OMG -- it sure was someone trying to break in -- A GROUP OF RACOONS WERE IN THE GARBAGE CANS!!!! LOL

After we got a good laugh all was OK.  I am a night owl even to this day, I liked the night shift and even when I got out at work at 11pm I'd go to the food store.  Not sure, if I'd do this now!!!

Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

I don't mind at all. DH used to work 12 hr. swing shift so I was often alone.  We used to have a dog that was wonderful as a companion,  but I would have had to pick up all 70lbs of him and throw him for protection.Give him a MilkBone and he would have pointed out my jewelery.

I would often do my grocery shopping at night when he was working and never worried about coming into an empty house.

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

LOL!

Your dog sounds like mine (my avatar) except he weighs 80+ lbs., but one look at him and people tend to walk the other way, LOL!

If they only knew that the worst he would do is lick them to death!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

It did the first few days ...

I went from living with my family ... then married.  When he died, I stayed with my  aunt until I got my life back in order. 

Then ... I moved into an apartment in Manhattan - first time I was ever alone over night.  As I said - first few days/nights were a little scary .... but then I came to love the freedom!

Living in a secure highrise is one thing .... I don't know that I would ever move into a single family house and live alone.  

Esteemed Contributor

No, I am fine with it. I never did have a dog that was good for anything either, if they ever bothered to lift their head.
Esteemed Contributor

I always kept doors and windows locked of course. And I kept my car keys handy for the alarm.The neighbor  past our house is a ways up the hill and she's older so no help.  The loon immediately before our place is armed to the teeth so if someone was trying to get in he woud be my call. Police out here are miles away.