Honored Contributor

Re: Does Anyone Still Use Calamine Lotion?

Ladies, I didn't know there was a clear version of calamine.

LOL @ mercurechrome. Gosh I haven't heard that since I was a kid but we definitely had that too.
Honored Contributor

Just read on Wiki that mercurochrome is no longer sold in the USA due to its mercury content.
Honored Contributor

I have heard of it but have never used it. Never get mosquito bites. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use Caladryl. It is calamine and Benedryl together. They make a clear one so I use it so I don’t have pink spots all over my ankles. We have these awful “ no-see-ums” that bite your legs and ankles in the early evening if you are outside here. You cannot see them....you just feel the bite. Horrible. DH uses white vinegar on his and swears it stops the itching. Doesn’t help me a bit. I use caladryl or Benedryl cream. When I was a kid, the big problem was chiggers. They don't bite; they burrow into your skin and die. The pain! I would be covered in itchy red spots. My aunt, whose yard must have had hundreds of them, made us stand on a chair with a little fan blowing on us as she painted each red spot with clear nail polish. Burned like fire...but didn't itch! Now they make something called Chigger-rid. I swear it looks like clear nail polish.

Trusted Contributor

BENADRYL® Itch Stopping Gel Extra Strength | BENADRYL®

This is the best for mosquito bites.

Respected Contributor

YES I DO!!!

BEST ZIT PROBLEM SOLVER ON THE PLANET - EQUAL TO DESITIN (ZINC OXIDE)

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess I remember chiggers. Haven't thought about them in years.
Trusted Contributor

If they still sell it then people must be buying it! But I haven't used it since I was a kid as we always had it in the house! I think it must have worked. 

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

I use Caladryl. It is calamine and Benedryl together. They make a clear one so I use it so I don’t have pink spots all over my ankles. We have these awful “ no-see-ums” that bite your legs and ankles in the early evening if you are outside here. You cannot see them....you just feel the bite. Horrible. DH uses white vinegar on his and swears it stops the itching. Doesn’t help me a bit. I use caladryl or Benedryl cream. When I was a kid, the big problem was chiggers. They don't bite; they burrow into your skin and die. The pain! I would be covered in itchy red spots. My aunt, whose yard must have had hundreds of them, made us stand on a chair with a little fan blowing on us as she painted each red spot with clear nail polish. Burned like fire...but didn't itch! Now they make something called Chigger-rid. I swear it looks like clear nail polish.

Lived here in maine since the 80's, never heard them called no see ums ,until lately ,we always called them chiggers in indiana, they drive you crazy.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

When I was growing up the people in the house next door to us had a dauschund. The lady was always upset about the chiggers in her yard because the doxie was so low to the ground.