Honored Contributor

Re: Does Anyone Still Do the Black Friday Shopping "Thing"?

never have, probably never will,

i shop for christmas all year long in stores and online.

if i do any black friday shopping it will be online.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Oh absolutely!! We have a blast! I live rural and prefer to shop the small businesses in my nearby towns. They have refreshments, hors d'oeuvres, some actually have alcohol to mix (shhh!) ! And their sales are remarkable!

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

We stopped buying gifts years ago so now the only shopping I'm doing is for me and it's online. Stores would have to be giving stuff away for me to go during Black Friday and I'm not sure even then I would go.

Respected Contributor

I don't think Black Friday will ever be like it used to be before the pandemic.  For example, no stores are opening on Thanksgiving and most stores are not opening super early on Friday.  Many stores are already offering Black Friday savings.  

I used to enjoy getting up before dawn and going to the mall and various other stores including Toys R Us when my children were little.  Now my gift list is very small and I get it done way before Black Friday and most of my shopping is done on line. 

Trusted Contributor

Having worked in retail for too many years to count, I've always been on the other side of the counter on Black Friday. After those retail days were over, the last thing I wanted to do was be out in that hot mess on BF. So I can say, one way or the other, I've never been a BF participant. 

Actually, it's really just all hype anyway. Just a retail shell game to make people think they're getting the best deal of the year, but they're really not. There was a lot of sleight of hand going on with prices behind the scenes to give the illusion of amazing sale prices that really weren't all that. In my retail experience, the best deals actually came in the quiet time in November, before BF.  If you watched the pre BF sales, you could get a better than BF deal beforehand.  

I do love to get out during the Christmas season, just for fun, to see what's new and enjoy the decorations and festivities. But all my Christmas power shopping is done sitting in a comfy chair in my PJs, tablet in hand and a warm puppy on my lap. 

Respected Contributor

The Monday following Thanksgiving is Cyber Monday so I'll wait for that.......

Honored Contributor

@sann wrote:

The Monday following Thanksgiving is Cyber Monday so I'll wait for that.......

@sann 

Thank you for the reminder!  

Respected Contributor

Don't give out many gifts anymore so don't need to. Many people shop for themselves. And I worked retail for many a holiday, opening or closing. You really experience the worst in people. And the feeling I should be grateful to wait on them. Nope,I don't do the good fun of Black Friday shopping.

Honored Contributor

I haven't shopped Black Friday for years.  My gift giving list is short and has been for years, so the few gifts I do buy, I buy online.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

doubt that i EVER went out shopping on BF. my Mom never did it and my sister hated shipping.  i did work BF retail though at 2 Mall Stores and once at a Gift Barn.  the entire retail experience is brutal. one time i had the flu working Xmas eve. i had work til close. we were short-handed. i was so sick.