Esteemed Contributor

Re: Dodged a Bullet- Wedding related

Are you saying that there were no party tents set up for shade and protection from the hot sun?...I'm surprised as this is the usual plan for most outdoor events this time of year, even for those of us not considered "Fashionistas". Woman Happy

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Valued Contributor

Tents with no air conditioning can be brutally hot.  There is no movement of air in those tents.

Esteemed Contributor

@Bri63...I was referring to the party tent canopies that are usually set up, so there would still be air movement but protection from the direct sun.

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Trusted Contributor

Went to an outdoor shower recently which had the tents. I was not expecting it to be outdoors and it was brutally hot and humid. The tents were some protection against the glaring sun but I still had to leave early as I started feeling sick from the heat.
Do the math.
Esteemed Contributor

I was at a Graduation party where an elderly couple had to be taken away to the Hospital for heat stroke.....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This happened to us at a wedding a few years ago. Intolerably hot! No cover, out in the sun. I must have drunk 2 gallons of iced tea that day.

Honored Contributor

An outdoor wedding in 100 degree heat with humidity to match is really unpleasant!

A good friend of mine had her daughter's wedding several years ago on the July 4th weekend.  The ceremony was outdoors with no shade.  It was the hottest day of the year.  I felt bad for the men wearing jackets.

The reception was in an "air conditioned" tent.  Let's just say it had to be in the mid 80s in the tent with lots of pockets of heat!  It was really uncomfortable!

Respected Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

I was at a Graduation party where an elderly couple had to be taken away to the Hospital for heat stroke.....

@Nataliesgramma

This happened to my husband last summer at a party.  Very scary, indeed. Luckily he was in the hospital only overnight.

Honored Contributor

have never heard of a backup plan for an outdoor event UNLESS it rains/snows. it is summertime so we can get a heat wave anytime..... it is to be expected.  hope that at least some of the guests and the bride and groom remember the day with happiness and not heat.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Excessive heat warnings need to be taken seriously and people should heed the recommendations to stay indoors in air conditioning and stay well hydrated. Anyone who would plan an event without a backup plan when people can become very ill and require hospitalization from high heat and humidity is uncaring. 

@sunshine45 wrote:

have never heard of a backup plan for an outdoor event UNLESS it rains/snows. it is summertime so we can get a heat wave anytime..... it is to be expected.  hope that at least some of the guests and the bride and groom remember the day with happiness and not heat.