Honored Contributor

Re: Dodged a Bullet- Wedding related

I'm not a fan of attending weddings, especially outdoors.  Now that I'm older, that is.

In my 'younger years', I loved the sun and the warm weather.  Not so much anymore.

'Anyway', I've attended a few nice outdoor weddings, mostly in park-like settings, which I loved.  Daytime events.  They had the reception(s) indoors.

Not very crazy about evening weddings, mainly because one of us has to entirely avoid cocktails and drive home in the dark.  Not crazy about driving around on unknown curvy mountain roads when it's dark.

'All in all', right now, I would decline any completely outdoor wedding in hot/warm areas.  I'd probably first call the venue ahead of time to find out whether or not the reception will be indoors.

Well, wishing all of the married couples and also their guests the best. Heart

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

They may be belle’s of the ball type people, but to plan a wedding without planning on a tent canopy for an outside event wedding they are not very smart.  All clothing, but brains were not used very well.

sorry you could not make this wedding but glad you were not one of the formally dressed people only to leave because of the heat.

Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

have never heard of a backup plan for an outdoor event UNLESS it rains/snows. it is summertime so we can get a heat wave anytime..... it is to be expected.  hope that at least some of the guests and the bride and groom remember the day with happiness and not heat.

I would think that the "rain" backup plan for a summer wedding could also be used if the day was excessively hot.  IMO backup plans don't need specific titles - There should be a plan in place in case holding the ceremony and/or reception outdoors would be problematic no matter the reason.  If the ceremony is short, then that could be outdoors, with the reception moved indoors.  I love the heat and can withstand very high temperatures more than most people, but I certainly wouldn't want to be a bride sweltering in my dress and thinking about my makeup melting and my photos of the day looking awful with everyone so miserable.  And I would be concerned of course with the comfort of my guests.  For me, when planning an event it's critical to minimize the chance of weather ruining the day.

My parents attended a July wedding many years ago, and the maid of honor fainted in the middle of the ceremony.  And I attended a lavish Bar Mitzvah during a fierce snowstorm that was so bad only 25 of the expected 200 guests could get there.  For that reason, I chose to get married in late September when excessive heat and snow were extremely unlikely.  I wanted everyone to be able to get there, and be comfortable when they arrived.  A little advance planning - for snow, heat, rain, whatever - can make all the difference.

Esteemed Contributor

@magicmoodz wrote:

@Abrowneyegirl

Your friends might act like fashionistas, but as someone who has attended more weddings than I care to recount, an outdoor wedding this time of year when the heat index can be 110° is a bit uncaring. 

UNLESS, of course, it is a barbeque where daisy dukes, a tube top and bare feet would be acceptable attire.😁😁😁

I actually attended a wedding like that a few years ago.  It was a close friend's second marriage, and it was a very casual pool party in her backyard.  Above-ground pool, lots of kids, hamburgers & hot dogs, and everyone either wore or brought bathing suits.  (Hers was white, and she put on a short flowing cover-up for the brief ceremony.)

So much fun!  And it was hot, but nobody minded because, although most of the action was outside in/near the pool, she also had an inside area set up.  So I agree - Super-hot weather is fine if the wedding is like that one, but not otherwise.  :-)

Esteemed Contributor

@RainyDayGal wrote:

Our August wedding was at the ocean.  The temp there NEVER gets above 75 during that time.  Well, on our day it was 93, which set a record.  Our wedding was very small (22 people), and everyone was dressed comfortably at least so no one complained.  Probably the person that suffered the most was my husband as he had a suit on, but fortunately a breeze came through.  And the reception was in a nice restaurant, so all was well.

We definitely did not have a backup plan, and really didn't need one.

I think an August wedding at the ocean is really nice.  Certainly guests were aware in that case that it would be outside, and dressed accordingly.  Also having the reception indoors makes a big difference.  I'm glad it all worked out for you!

Honored Contributor

@NYC Susan

i was married in the middle of august. there was no way i was planning an outdoor wedding. chances were that it was going to be HOT and it actually was a HOT and HUMID day. even just going from my home to the limo and then the limo to the event i was sweating. thank goodness i had a short sleeved dress, somewhat open back, and a sweetheart neckline.

my guess is is that the bride wanted an outdoor wedding and she was willing to take a chance......so as long as it didnt rain, she wanted her event to be outdoors. i am sure she had a backup for rain, but didnt want a backup for heat.

there are so many parties, events, celebrations, state fairs, and festivals this time of the year in our area. if it is too hot, i just dont go......or i go for a very short while and then leave when i get too uncomfortable.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Not sure what being a fashionista has to do with poor planning. 

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

We were invited to a wedding of the ultimate Fashionista Couple.  

They are both fashion plates.  She has a person shopper and he belongs to a monthly clothing box subscription by Nordstrom.

They both like the best of things, cars, phones, bikes, etc.  

So we all went out of our way to plan to dress top notch for their special day.  

Unfortunately due to a family emergency we could not attend.........

I got a call late last night we apparently dodged a bullet.

The wedding  and reception were both OUTSIDE!!! (at the hottest time of the day)   We have had a week of extreme heat and humidity and yesterday was the worst of the week.  It was 99 degrees, humid, no breeze and a heat index of 104-106

They waited too late to make a back up plan so there was little shade of options.

Unfort.  there was no clue of the outside venue, I have to admit I  NEVER dreamed they would do an outdoor event considering this is normal June weather.  Most of the guests were dressed formally for a wedding and had to leave promptly due to the heat.  (this would have been us) 

Too bad the guests were not informed of the situation so they could have planned to be comfortable and enjoy the day.

@Abrowneyegirl

I have to ask .... how old were these people? 

Personally, I cannot imagine having an out door wedding reception ANYWHERE in the country on JULY 1ST.   Rather stupid, IMO.   

Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@NYC Susan

i was married in the middle of august. there was no way i was planning an outdoor wedding. chances were that it was going to be HOT and it actually was a HOT and HUMID day. even just going from my home to the limo and then the limo to the event i was sweating. thank goodness i had a short sleeved dress, somewhat open back, and a sweetheart neckline.

my guess is is that the bride wanted an outdoor wedding and she was willing to take a chance......so as long as it didnt rain, she wanted her event to be outdoors. i am sure she had a backup for rain, but didnt want a backup for heat.

there are so many parties, events, celebrations, state fairs, and festivals this time of the year in our area. if it is too hot, i just dont go......or i go for a very short while and then leave when i get too uncomfortable.

I'm certainly aware that lots of events are planned during the summer because I attend them all the time.  Concerts, outdoor theater, parties, etc. are not the same as a wedding, though.   Where I live, temperatures can vary greatly, and personally I would only have peace of mind if I had an alternative plan in place, not only for the sake of my guests but for myself.  I want to enjoy the day and I want the people I invited to be there to share in the joy of the day - not choosing to opt out or leave early because of weather.   I would be crushed if the weather was so unbearable that people had to do that.  And it's completely avoidable.

So the way I see it is that she opted to take a chance, and this is what she got when she could have had a lovely wedding surrounded by the people she had chosen to invite, knowing everyone was comfortable and having a good time, rather than planning hasty exits.  I would far rather have all of my guests with me in a not-so-great venue than have the outdoor setting of my dreams with unhappy/missing/looking-for-an-excuse-to-leave guests.  JMO, but if I choose to share my day with people I care about, I do everything I can to make that happen.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

We were invited to a wedding of the ultimate Fashionista Couple.  

They are both fashion plates.  She has a person shopper and he belongs to a monthly clothing box subscription by Nordstrom.

They both like the best of things, cars, phones, bikes, etc.  

So we all went out of our way to plan to dress top notch for their special day.  

Unfortunately due to a family emergency we could not attend.........

I got a call late last night we apparently dodged a bullet.

The wedding  and reception were both OUTSIDE!!! (at the hottest time of the day)   We have had a week of extreme heat and humidity and yesterday was the worst of the week.  It was 99 degrees, humid, no breeze and a heat index of 104-106

They waited too late to make a back up plan so there was little shade of options.

Unfort.  there was no clue of the outside venue, I have to admit I  NEVER dreamed they would do an outdoor event considering this is normal June weather.  Most of the guests were dressed formally for a wedding and had to leave promptly due to the heat.  (this would have been us) 

Too bad the guests were not informed of the situation so they could have planned to be comfortable and enjoy the day.

@Abrowneyegirl

I have to ask .... how old were these people? 

Personally, I cannot imagine having an out door wedding reception ANYWHERE in the country on JULY 1ST.   Rather stupid, IMO.   

@Tinkrbl44, our daughter's wedding was in early July at a venue on the Palos Verdes Peninsula outside overlooking the ocean in California with the dinner both outside and inside.

It would have been extremely rare for the temp to be uncomfortable. But wait. It would also be rare for it to rain, which it did the day before the event. Thankfully, it cleared up for the big day.

I don't know exactly what the contigency plan was, if any. It would have involved some scrambling around to fit us all inside.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland