Respected Contributor

Re: Do your friends shop at QV.C. ?

Nope, not a one of them shop qvc. Some of them don't even know what it is.

Honored Contributor

I have some friends who shop QVC and one friend who also reads this board - though she says it is too brutal here for her to feel she wants to post anything. When we get together we frequently get a laugh about things people here say. Our husbands think we are nuts to come here.

Honored Contributor

i have no idea......we never talk about QVC.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I don't think any of them do. We never have discussed it.

Respected Contributor

I don't think they do.  Most of the women I have known are hard core shoppers and could spend every single day in stores shopping.  If need or want something I might get out and look around but for me going from store to store is boring and torture.  After a couple of stores I am done. Also I don't go if I don't have money to spend and sometimes if I had thousands to throw away I see nothing I want to buy. 

Respected Contributor

@Goldengate8361wrote:

None of my friends shops at QVC. It is a little strange....many folks still have a strange, unfounded stigma about “home shopping networks.” I’ve always thought for myself. They’re a little out of touch with that attitude.

To be frank, the stigma comes from the early days when one had to order by phone, with cheesy sets and a time clock on the screen. This led to the assumption by many that home shopping viewers are lonely, couch potatoes with no life, unsophisticated, and willing to buy anything. And often the callers reinforce this assumption with their gushing over the hosts, rambling conversations, health complaints, and addled comments. In reality, most QVC purchases are now done online, and we have the benefit of videos and vendor explanations, a come-to-life catalogue that is better than most retail web sites.

To answer the OP, I know two people that shop the Q. Others may but won’t own up to it.

Honored Contributor

One of my friends does shop at the Q, and my neighbor does too....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pupwhippedwrote:

Nope. But I can't tell you how many compliments or "where did you get that?" I've gotten from them over the years about my QVC items!   

@pupwhipped

I USED TO get that because QVC used to offer unique and interesting merchandise, but no more ----so much of what s QVC sells nowadays can be found at local stores, their merchandise is so common in the marketplace.....I am watching and buying less these days......But.there are still a few brands I do like from QVC

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@SunValleywrote:

@Goldengate8361wrote:

None of my friends shops at QVC. It is a little strange....many folks still have a strange, unfounded stigma about “home shopping networks.” I’ve always thought for myself. They’re a little out of touch with that attitude.

To be frank, the stigma comes from the early days when one had to order by phone, with cheesy sets and a time clock on the screen. This led to the assumption by many that home shopping viewers are lonely, couch potatoes with no life, unsophisticated, and willing to buy anything. And often the callers reinforce this assumption with their gushing over the hosts, rambling conversations, health complaints, and addled comments. In reality, most QVC purchases are now done online, and we have the benefit of videos and vendor explanations, a come-to-life catalogue that is better than most retail web sites.

To answer the OP, I know two people that shop the Q. Others may but won’t own up to it.

@SunValley  Not being a QVC shopper from the early days, I hadn't even thought of this.  Your perspective makes so much sense! I was really stumped why there were so many replying as if they would be ashamed to admit it, or feel shopping here would look some kind of way.  I also think watching the programming all day as entertainment is different from using it strictly as a shopping tool. 

Esteemed Contributor

no