Honored Contributor

Re: Do your adult kids want your possessions?

@wagirl 

Tell the family you sold the goblet for a gazillion dollars, and see how long it takes for them to ask for their share of the money!  

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

Just saw this on Facebook.

36723D6F-2E42-47D0-89B6-74E11CD89C9F.jpeg

Absolutely one we did was like that!!!  And my uncle used to say that to me and laugh.  Was our first (we were stupid) and we literally worked Y E A R S to clean it out--it was far away, so we had to drive to do it. 

Valued Contributor

This is silly.

EVERYONE is different and what some people may not want, others would treasure. 

Honored Contributor

Before Mom died, she made a list of certain items and who gets them. She also wrote names on masking tape and put the tape on the back of a number of items. Dad is still living in the home and is starting to give some things to us. None of us (7 kids) have asked for anything. 

Trusted Contributor

That list seems correct.  We are going through this right now.  After suggesting to my mother in law for years that she should sell her house and downsize, we are at the point that she is forced to leave her home of over 50 years.  Now husband and I who are the only ones nearby have the responsibility to clean out the house.  We "kids" don't have use for much in the house and the grandchildren are too young to be out on their own.  Hopefully we can get her to agree to an Estate sale to make money off some of this stuff.