Honored Contributor

Re: Do your adult kids want your possessions?

Funny---my friend and I were just discussing this very topic yesterday. She has so much antique furniture that she loves as well as expensive  jewelry from great/grand mothers,  and she can't find anyone that will want or take it. I have a cut glass goblet that was my MIL grand mothers from the civil war---and none of my in-laws would even take that small thing!! I still have it. 

Respected Contributor

I was shocked when I offered my 20 y/o, newlywed niece my mother's wedding china (she is the only grandaughter), and she got teary-eyed--said "Yes!" very quickly. So she has that now. Mom didn't have a lot else, but I have an old vase that was a family heirloom, and that's enough for me. I'm not a sentimental person, and have no children to pass things on to.

A young woman who worked for DH & me got my collection of Coach, Dooney & Brahmin handbags--she was thrilled! They were large bags that I just didn't need anymore.

DH & I are nearly retired, and have been purging a ton of stuff...well, mostly MY stuff, lol! Mine is pretty much under control now. While he's by no means a hoarder, DH has a bit more trouble letting things go!

Esteemed Contributor

Not really. I had to beg them to keep family items and do a trust to pass my mom's rings down to my great-granddaughter (20 months now) to keep them in the family.

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac I love you!  Although I'd hoped for a really outrageous story when I got to "I stopped at the liquor store. . . "

I have to admit I was a little disappointed reading on!  Woman Very Happy

Respected Contributor

My daughters have already picked out what they want from my China and Holiday dishes. Have it boxed up and stored in the attic for them to pick up. They have also picked out what Specialty bakeware pans they want. Oldest daughter wants our marble top tall plant stands. So there are some things kids do want. I started a few years ago down sizing. Clothes, home decor, kitchen items, linens, have all been donated or tossed. Clothes and linens that are not donation worthy go into the fabric recycling bin so they don’t go into the landfill. It will take a few more years to get rid of it all. But that is ok. It all served its purpose and would not have had it if we didn’t like it.
Honored Contributor

Wow, the civil war!

@wagirl,

Maybe you should get on Antique Road Show!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Valued Contributor

No, but I want theirs! Woman Wink

Trusted Contributor

For the most part, yes. 

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

@on the bay ---and you want to know something---it was given to the grandparents of my ex, who were born in 1888 and 1889, by their parents who lived during the civil war.  Ex's grandparents came to Oregon by covered wagon---isn't that astonishing!!!! 

And NO one wanted this goblet!!??? I find that amazing!!! 

Respected Contributor

@Kalli 

Just yesterday I asked DS if he wanted the grocery bag full if CDs as I work on purging. He replied that they were empty.  I found 7 CDs and e said he wanted them.  I haven't gotten nerve to ask what to do with sound equipment.