Honored Contributor

Re: Do your adult kids want your possessions?

When DH and I purge, we always ask if DH and family would like anything before it goes out.

Sometimes they do, sometimes they do not. 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

NO in fact they beg me to rid my excess🙄🙄🙄

Yesterday I again asked my niece if she "really wanted" my Christmas Lenox (place setting for 12 & all completer pieces) after a few minutes of hesitation she said "let me let you know later".

She has DR table that seats 12 so she could certainly use it but honestly, we've yet to sit at table.  She has beautiful gourmet kitchen with huge island -- we gather there.

Funny thing: Living in deed restricted we can't have garage/yard sales so in my papers I left my kids business cards of estate sale people who are approved for here -- will come in handy when the time comes😉

Honored Contributor

Just saw this on Facebook.

36723D6F-2E42-47D0-89B6-74E11CD89C9F.jpeg

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

I started letting go of things as soon as I retired 9 years ago.   

Respected Contributor

My sons have told me for a long time that I have to get rid of all the “stuff” in the attic. Then I told them I was going to get rid of older son’s matchbox cars/trucks, his collection of Ertl farm toys and both sons’ LEGOs. They didn’t like that! 😆😆😆

Respected Contributor

Perfect time to have your son take his toy cars! 

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh 

As a young child, I heard similar words from my grandmother multiple times.

When you're 6 years old and gazing at the pretty glass things in the china cabinet, those words are very special.  

When you're nearly 50 years old looking at all of that stuff you now own and need to find a place for, it is much easier to see that you haven't inherited much more than a pile of kindling and some glass.   

Respected Contributor

@Kalli wrote:

My sons have told me for a long time that I have to get rid of all the “stuff” in the attic. Then I told them I was going to get rid of older son’s matchbox cars/trucks, his collection of Ertl farm toys and both sons’ LEGOs. They didn’t like that! 😆😆😆

@Kalli   That sounds so familiar!  I have several large plastic tubs of my son's baseball cards from the 80's that I have been trying to get out of here.  He keeps saying "I have no room for them."

If bad comes to worse, they can be dumped in recycling and problem solved.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Respected Contributor

Sad to say, but sometimes a death in the family can bring out the worst in some families. It may be due to grief or stress from the loss, but sometimes it is just due to greed and selfishness. So much easier to think about it and plan who-wants-what now, while you are still here..

Respected Contributor

It is so true when you are raised by depression-era parents. My mom was never a hoarder, but she always kept a "spare" of almost everything. People of her generation were taught to truly "waste not, want not".