Respected Contributor

Re: Do your adult kids want your possessions?

One of the reasons DH and I started purging during the lockdown was to try and save our own kids from having to go through the huge amount of time it took me to clear out my mother's things. I found books of gas ration tickets from WWII and clothes that filled over ten huge garbage bags. It was summer and far too hot to do an estate sale,  and I knew it would not bring much money so we donated everything unless someone in the family had wanted it. 

Respected Contributor

My mom had paper work dating back to 1963.She also had a thing for styrofom, cardboard and plastic containers. I have half of her collection of bells in my basement. Most stuff was donated to the local thrift store, given to her caregiver or tossed. I have no children so someone will be stuck with my stuff. I stopped purchasing "stuff" years ago. At this stage of the game, there's nothing I want. I just get what I need.

Respected Contributor

If my kids ask for anything now, within reason, I just tell them to go on and take it, especially if it is something small...would love to see them enjoy using it while I am still here.

The problem with offering something now is they feel awkward saying no, so they take it and are stuck feeling guilty if they get rid of it. I prefer they tell me specifically what they want. If it's nothing, at least I won't be taking up room saving it for them. 

Respected Contributor

My mother has a Raggedy Ann Christmas ornament with my name on it from when I was a baby. I would like that. Otherwise I don’t want her stuff. If she would have passed along her China when I started hosting holiday meals, I would have been interested. We’ve eaten Thanksgiving dinner on my every day dinnerware so long I don’t care any more.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am finding myself feeling less attached to many of my things now...I am focused on downsizing and finding a smaller home....so I have a reason to purge. Going through some of my things, I was ashamed I had kept so much stuff! No excuse for it! Now it is going on the curb or charity unless the kids ask for it. DD loves her grandmother's fine China, but we bought a lead tester at Home Depot and the set is full of lead. She kept a platter and hung it on her DR wall. It looks beautiful.

Respected Contributor

@Trailrun23NO!!!  Here's a novel approach.  Stop reading the magazines and what the "experts" say, and ask your kids what they want.

Respected Contributor

No reason to be snarky. I found the article very informative and obviously many others do also, just move to another topic if you are offended.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Both sons are interested in my dad's WWII items.  He was a P51 pilot.  Other than our money, if there's any left, that's about it.  🤑

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I know my daughter would want my quilts, they were all made by myself or my mother. 

She would want the counted cross stitch pieces I've made through the years.

She would want the small Eeyore collection I have that she contributed a few pieces to.

Honored Contributor

@Trailrun23 wrote:

No reason to be snarky. I found the article very informative and obviously many others do also, just move to another topic if you are offended.

@Trailrun23 , It was interesting , and I fail to see how anyone would be offended. We all don't think alike and younger people have different likes and priorities. It's just something to think about.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan