Respected Contributor

Do your adult kids want your possessions?

[ Edited ]

Read an article from Forbes this morning and now can't find it again....but it listed things your kids definitely don't want...and says to donate them or give to anyone who will take them. Sounds like I need to do some major donating!

1. Anything paper, including postcards, photos, scrapbooks, tickets, etc. scan the photos and make a collage if you like, but the kids don't want them.

2. Fine China sets or sterling flatware. Sell them to Replacements.com if you want any cash for them , and save your kids the trouble of doing the same. 

3. Bedding and linens, including quilts, tablecloths, sheets,  aprons. etc. sell or donate to places that create baptismal gowns from them. 

4. Furniture: No matching BR sets or LR sets or dark, heavy antique furniture.  Sell online or donate.

5. Books of any kind-donate

6. Collections of any kind, including Bradford Exchange plates, figurines without a high-end maker such as Lalique,etc. 

7. Clothing of any kind, unless military service-related.

8  Souvenirs of any kind, including tees, keychains, cups, etc.

9. China teacups and saucers...some retirement communities host afternoon teas and some will happily accept cups and saucers sets if they are vintage.

10. Glassware or ceramicware such as cookie jars, vases, etc.

Respected Contributor

Re: Do your adult kids want your possessions?

[ Edited ]

In a word, NO. Your kids don't want your stuff.

My Mom passed away 3 years ago, lived in her house for 64 years. She had tons of beautiful stuff. I only took a few things because I am at the age where I was starting to downsize. Not only did we have an estate sale for her stuff, it was followed by a major moving sale for my stuff. 

I moved from 5 bedrooms to 2 with very little. New state, new life with stuff at a minimum. Downsize now, so your kids don't have to deal with your mess!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

My boys want my electronics (for their children) or so they say. icon_rolleyes.gif

Daughter wants all my jewlery & the one coach bag I have left.  I already gave her all my other coach bags & brief case.  Also, my collection of Nikes.  We wear the same size.  She always try to steal mines when I visit her or she visits me.

That's all folks!!!!!!

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I can vouch for that having disbursed four estates.  I took some of the scrapbooks etc. but unloaded most of them years ago.

I'd say to anyone please don't load your kids up with a lot of things like pictures and scrapbooks.  While you are still here, why not edit it down with your kids?  See what the want and do them and you a favor and see what's reasonable.

An auction company will take care of 90 percent of the stuff, that's not hard.  It's going through pictures and sentimental stuff that is hard.  

Honored Contributor

For me, the only (and I do mean ONLY!) bad thing about not having kids is that I have a lot of really great, valuable, stuff and nobody to leave it to.

If I had the mental and physical energy, I'd go back to selling stuff so I can at least bank the money and not have to worry so much about the future.

I can see how most people probably wouldn't want the stuff in your list, though.  

Super Contributor

Add to the list: Teddy Bears, including Boyd’s Bear’s ,dolls, & Cat’s Meows.

Valued Contributor

Heck, I don't even want MY possessions.  :-)

Having cleaned out 3 houses (so far) of years of other people's stuff, I can say you do your children no favors by "saving" things for them.  I suggest that people ask their families if they want a specific item or any items in general and go from there.  I know it is much easier to sort through other people's stuff as emotional attachment is minimal.  We finally had to hire someone to help my mom go through her things as the arguments were too stressful for everyone (who needs 65 years of cancelled checks?).  

So, to anyone - start going through your things now and make it easy on yourself and your family. 

Honored Contributor

The people who ran the shred day at the bank thought we were nuts.  For years we'd bring in SUV's full of boxes to be shredded.

Respected Contributor

@Trailrun23 I'm sure the article just listed broad generalizations.   Just ask the specific kids what they want, if anything.  There still are people who love to hold on to things that are sentimental to them or that have some family meaning or history. Certainly many people/kids would love the paper things - like the actual postcard, etc.  Not sure about the china - would depend if there is some sentiment attached to it or if it suits their taste (and it might!)  Bedding and linens I would thing probably not - but might as well ask!  Furniture - maybe? maybe a piece or two?  Ask!  Books?  Why would anyone assume that someone wouldn't want a book?  There are people who still read books - even younger people!  Maybe some books are antique or collectible or beautiful or even sentimental in nature.  I'm not a figurine or plate person but maybe someone else/family member might be.  I kept some of my parents clothing.  It made me feel happy to have something of theirs.  Maybe the kids want some of the cloths, maybe they don't!  Ask!  As far as the rest - just ask!  I think we can assume that the kids probably won't want everything, but there is a good chance they would want something.  Maybe friends or other family might want something too.

Honored Contributor

Only if it is diamonds and or cash.....