Valued Contributor

Re: Do younger readers want this?

@Noel7 wrote:

@Juniebugz wrote:

I don't get the big deal about "RBF."

That's mild. It's been around a long time as well. Nothing new.

I agree, @Juniebugz , it is mild.  It can also be funny, imo. 

I've always thought it was funny. 😉

Think I heard it first from Joan Rivers.

She was a trip lol.

Honored Contributor

@hyacinth003

My feeling is that many of the "yungens" don't relate to these words the same as older people like myself. I know what SOB meant/means to me. I saw/see it as directed at my mother, do they?

All the 4 letter words I heard, and yes used, in the Army and around just men, somewhere they became just casual words to even teen girls. That at first shocked me, but not anymore.

We all have probably heard them all, but I think many don't view the definition of the word the same as I do, and some have a very small vocabulary.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Juniebugz wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Juniebugz wrote:

"The results of the experiment show that there is no significant relationship between cursing and intelligence.

These results support the hypothesis that cursing cannot be used as an accurate predictor of intelligence."

https://campuspress.yale.edu/yrurp/files/2016/05/Giordano-rg5y5r.pdf

@Juniebugz

I don't think anyone suggested it was a predictor of intelligence, but that people who swear are usually intelligent, which are two different things. Obviously that doesn't hold for everyone.

Perhaps. 

However seems some want to use it as support for their "we're superior because we use profanity" bandwagon. That comes across as 'holier than thou' also.

People of all intelligence levels curse. Or don't curse.

Neither is better than the other. 

It's a choice. 

@Juniebugz

Yes, I did make the point that people of all kinds swear.  But it is true that there are insults directed and those who do, and the idea that anyone who swears does so because he or she can't think of a different word is ridiculous.   Many of our great authors swore.

From one of the very greats, who wrote often about his

swearing:

There ought to be a room in every house to swear in. It's dangerous to have to repress an emotion like that.
- Mark Twain, a Biography

twain

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Juniebugz wrote:

"The results of the experiment show that there is no significant relationship between cursing and intelligence.

These results support the hypothesis that cursing cannot be used as an accurate predictor of intelligence."

Also from the study:

"Although cursing did not display a relationship to intelligence,

it can still be responsible for 

some intellectual damage."

So they're saying it can be a bad thing.

I simply do not believe people who swear are "usually" intelligent.

Nothing wrong with saying you choose to swear or not.

Neither choice makes us a superior person lol.

Honored Contributor

@Juniebugz wrote:

@Juniebugz wrote:

Also from the study:

"Although cursing did not display a relationship to intelligence, it can still be responsible for some intellectual damage."

I simply do not believe people who swear are "usually" intelligent.

Nothing wrong with saying you choose to swear or not.

Neither choice makes is a superior person lol.

I'll agree with that.  As I read it, the comment was directed to some who thought it was superior not to swear and said so, that's the difference.@Juniebugz 

Respected Contributor

I love Allure and I am 56 years young.

Clearly, Allure is not meant for little girls-but language has changed and attitudes-word usage... If you don't like it, quit subscribing and find something more sedate.

It's a different time than what it was.....

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm not a fan of profanity, but the "RBF" never offended me.   I don't really think dueling studies make that much difference regarding the attributes of people who use foul language.   In my case, since I so seldom use it...  when I do it seems to carry a powerful punch.   I can pretty easily silence a room if I decide a choice word or two is the most appropriate for the situation. 😉  People who let loose frequent streams of swearing tend to render it almost impotent and lose the effect of the salty language.

By the way, I don't agree our intelligence or education level is associated with our decision to curse or not.   We can find examples of Mensa members and also people with low IQs, but it doesn't prove anything and also doesn't match what I've seen in my life.   (And I've been around lots of spicy talk, as well as lots of folks who never swear.)    I also don't think either "side" of the issue holds any particular moral ground.   Those judgments...  they're not helpful.    Let's allow people to be diverse and do what they've decided works best for them.   Life's better when it's colorful... 😜

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

I don't want to pay to hear people cursing in magazines , books or movies. I can let it fly with the best of them, but I have to be alone or really mad at my husband.LOL I just don't like the sound of profanity and to use it just to use it, well I think less of those who do.

Honored Contributor

"Potty Mouth" 🙄

Honored Contributor

blackhole99 wrote:

I don't want to pay to hear people cursing in magazines , books or movies. I can let it fly with the best of them, but I have to be alone or really mad at my husband.LOL I just don't like the sound of profanity and to use it just to use it, well I think less of those who do.

I think I know what you mean, @blackhole99.    As an example, George Carlin was a favorite of mine.    And, of course, my delicate sensibilities (jk 😉) were able to tolerate his uncensored shows...   but it was (is) also just as entertaining to hear the G-rated performances.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova