Trusted Contributor

Re: Do younger readers want this?

@Noel7. I don't get this, what do thugs cook? Lol I am not up on urban stuff.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've heard this from English teachers, linguists, writers and individuals who have a Pulitzer for writing/journalism:

"A small mind uses foul language because it is unable/unaware of additional adjectives to use. It takes little to no effort to swear and people can't be bothered to educate themselves to learn other words. They believe they sound more mature as well, when in reality, they sound course and illiterate".

That answer works for me.

BTW, I've heard the same thing about why movies need to use nudity/sex; it's all about  poor writing/lack of talent courtesy of the writer. Think of some of the most celebrated movies ever made: how much nudity, sex and swearing do they contain? Something to think about.

Respected Contributor

The late Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan (D) had a term for this I've never fogotten.  He called it "defining deviancy down."

If I would be uncomfortable saying it in front of my parents, I certainly wouldn't write it.  If I wouldn't like it or teach it to my daughter, I wouldn't write it.

It is pretty easy to be crass.  If I were writing for a magazine with millions of readers, I would prefer to take the higher road.  She could have found another way to say the exact same thing.

I am not sure we could even post those words here!

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

You shouldn't generalize about the vocabularies of those who use profanity. Sometimes a swear word just says what needs to be said, it doesn't mean that one 's intelligence or vocabulary is limited.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it contains a live link and foul language

Valued Contributor

Allure's demographic is probably females over 30years old. Not babes in the woods. Resting --tch face is part of modern lexicon. None of it offends me but glad we have the choice not to buy.

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

You shouldn't generalize about the vocabularies of those who use profanity. Sometimes a swear word just says what needs to be said, it doesn't mean that one 's intelligence or vocabulary is limited.

I've said that in reply when engaging in conversation with those who vehemently see it this way. Their response is, again, every time:

'You mean you honestly can't think of another word to use?"

I guess not or I don't want to. But the first time someone said this, it did make me pause and think about my choice of words. Do I swear? Yes. Does it add anything to the sentence/content of what I'm saying? If I'm honest; no.

Honored Contributor

I always refrained from swearing in front of my parents.  When I got older it slipped a couple times and I apologized to my mother.  It's what we call RESPECT.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I have found that in the northern, east coast states, profanity is part of the common language for many.

In the south, it is not at all as prevalent and for many, not at all. No matter the generation it is considered offensive and people say sorry or excuse me if it comes out.

It can get to be a habit and not shocking if you are around people who use it all the time and offensive if around those who rarely or never use it.

That has been my experience with it.

I do think the majority (not all) of the older generations are not used to using profanity and my mother and father never used it so we didn't either.

I don't like hearing or the sound of many of those words, though sometimes they create just the right impact!!

My grandmother said she combines them all and just says "WORDS!" 

I only heard my mother say something not so nice when she was driving and cut off by a rude driver.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

Whether in movies, television, or the printed work, it does nothing to edify the one saying it NOR does it edify the one hearing it said. 

IMHO it is a sad commentary that one thinks "it is the only word or words that will work in a particular sentence or conversation".  Think harder -  speak smarter.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!