Respected Contributor

Re: Do you worry about becoming a terrorist victim?

no, I am not worried about it, cherry.

And I don't need a protective friend.

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Respected Contributor

@physicsnut wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:
"Protective friend". There's a greater than zero chance when push comes to shove, the owners of these "protective friends" will pucker up, freeze & shoot a random innocent. Anyone in LE will tell you it does more harm than good.

I totally disagee. If push comes to shove I am ready. I am law abiding and trained to use it when needed.  I can protect myself if necessary - especially since others seem to look the other way these days..  I have plenty of family members and friends in LE - they agree with me.

Have you read the news lately?  LEO's and military have been among those victimized by "terrorists."  We're not discussing breaking and entering here.  It's about pressure cooker bombs, planes used as weapons and mad men armed with weapons meant only for the military.  Have we discussed chemical weapons yet?

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Esteemed Contributor

@Lotus wrote:

@hckynutjohn wrote:

No! My protective friend is never beyond my reach and ready to act or react immediately. Nothing in life causes me to worry for my own safety.

Is your "protective friend" going to protect you when you and your wife are at the mall and a bomb goes off?   Or you're driving over the George Washington Bridge and a bomb goes off?  Or how about if you're at the movies with your wife and shooter with an automatic weapon is shooting into the crowd?  Or maybe you are in a building and a plane deliberately flies into it?

To answer the OP......yes, it does sometimes concern me....usually driving over a major bridge (you can't get off of LI w/o going over one).  I don't obsess over it but it is always in the back of my mind.

After 9-11 I still can't hear a plane overhead w/o looking up...the sound of those planes going into the Trade Centers will never leave my consciousness.

That day shook me to my core......it was too close to home.

1)  No it isn't, but I do not worry about anything I cannot control.

2) Can't remember ever driving over that bridge, or even the last bridge here that takes us into Iowa.

3) We do not go to the movies. My wife, yes. Us, no.

4) A plane? We don't have buildings high enough here for a plane to hit it, and even if so, I am very seldom in such a building. Last multi-story building I was in had 4 floors. Would have to be a dive bomber to aim at that one.

Why all these ridiculous questions?

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

I lived in Germany at a time and in a place where Beidermeinkof terrorists were active.  That said, I wasn't afraid then nor am I now.  I do however always remain aware of my surroundings because stuff happens.  I had a friend whose mother was killed by a terrorist as she was leaving a cathedral in Spain, so you never know.

Honored Contributor

Yes.  We've had a building blown up; someone beheaded at work; someone try to get into a stadium full of people (he blew himself up); and some other acts not publicly talked about.

Trust me, it would happen anywhere, any time.  I think we will see more and more public gatherings attacked.  

Respected Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@Lotus wrote:

@hckynutjohn wrote:

No! My protective friend is never beyond my reach and ready to act or react immediately. Nothing in life causes me to worry for my own safety.

Is your "protective friend" going to protect you when you and your wife are at the mall and a bomb goes off?   Or you're driving over the George Washington Bridge and a bomb goes off?  Or how about if you're at the movies with your wife and shooter with an automatic weapon is shooting into the crowd?  Or maybe you are in a building and a plane deliberately flies into it?

To answer the OP......yes, it does sometimes concern me....usually driving over a major bridge (you can't get off of LI w/o going over one).  I don't obsess over it but it is always in the back of my mind.

After 9-11 I still can't hear a plane overhead w/o looking up...the sound of those planes going into the Trade Centers will never leave my consciousness.

That day shook me to my core......it was too close to home.

1)  No it isn't, but I do not worry about anything I cannot control.

2) Can't remember ever driving over that bridge, or even the last bridge here that takes us into Iowa.

3) We do not go to the movies. My wife, yes. Us, no.

4) A plane? We don't have buildings high enough here for a plane to hit it, and even if so, I am very seldom in such a building. Last multi-story building I was in had 4 floors. Would have to be a dive bomber to aim at that one.

Why all these ridiculous questions?

You don't have to have skyscrapers...just a U-Haul truck packed with fertilizer.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

I was never crazy about being in large, noisy places/events; but would attend just to be 'social'.  But, now, for many years, I've kept away from large crowds/events/etc.  Too many 'cons' (rather than 'pros') for me, IMO.  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

So John...please tell me what type of terrorist attack will your friend protect you from?

PS....I used the GW Bridge as an example. Insert any bridge.  

The Pentagon is not a high building......didn't stop that plane from flying into it.

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Honored Contributor

A terrorist victim, not really.

Do I worry about a nutcase shooter in the movies or somewhere, yes.

Honored Contributor

As someone else suggested re: texting:  It's indeed 'terri-fying' to see texters driving.......mostly teens and women/moms.  Lots of 'close calls' around here, anyway.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).