Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you wish you had a natural talent for anything?

Many years ago I read an article that I've never really forgotten (or, at least, that I remember the basic gist of).  It was about this female investment banker who, to get some excercise, decided to take up cycling.  Turned out, she had the perfect body/form to be an Olympic level cyclist and subsequently quit her job and pursued that professionally.

It just made me wonder about what talents everyone has, but just aren't fulfilling that potential because it simply never comes up. How many people actually never find their talent?  I'm sure that person in the article would have been fine, the competitive nature of her office job taking the place of a race. But, would that have been her best life?  Because she wasn't just good.  She was supposedly Olympic level great. 

I never took piano lessons, but what if I really was a child prodigy? Much of my life I was told that I couldn't or shouldn't do such and such, but, now, I'm finding that I'm quite good at some things. Maybe not "olympic level", but not bad. For me going forward, it's just keeping an open mind and not be afraid to try new things.  Find and do what I enjoy!

But, if I wasn't being so philosophical, I would say I would love to be able to dance and (as brought up by someone else) learn other languages effortlessly. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Accordian.  

Love the sound, and one can carry it to various parties or to relatives', friends' homes.

I'm only guessing that there are lighter weight accordians now-a-days.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Sight reading music (piano).  I had to practice, practice, practice.  

My mother was able to sit down at the piano and play anything you put in front of her.  I had a friend who was the same way.  '

(I no longer have the piano - and gave the keyboard to my sister's family.)

Honored Contributor

I can put both feet in my mouth (shoes included) and manage to keep talking!  Woman Embarassed

Esteemed Contributor

@caroln242 wrote:

I wish I had an eidetic memory.  It would come in handy for so many reasons, but the main one would be when my husband argued with me about something and I could quote word for word what and when he said something, or what happened when, etc.   Maybe he would just quit arguing with me all together!  Woman Very Happy

that sounds great....it's a daily occurrence....he's always right....i'm always wrong....after 50 years....i gave up......

Esteemed Contributor

Math and foreign language are two areas I'd select. I don't have a natural inclination for either. Music. I learned piano and clarinet and read music but wish the guitar would have come easier for me. I do okay singing in a chorus -- but it would be enjoyable to have a fabulous singing voice. Now, if we talk super powers? That would be nice. I'll take any super power that pushes back at bullies. I've thought this since being a child.       

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

When I was younger, I aspired to be a tap dancer! Mastering several other forms of dance came easy for me, but my feet decided long ago that they had other aspirations, and tap was NOT among them.😁

I could just sit and watch the late, GREAT Gregory Hines effortlessly tap all day. He was an amazingly raw talent😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Valued Contributor

I can play the piano by ear.  I used to think everyone could, till my husband told me it was a talent!

I also have a wild, vivid imagination, @ Suan Louise.  I did some acting in school, and loved pretending to be someone else.   I was somewhat of a shy kid, but could lose myself in a role.  It was wonderful.  Sometimes I will read about an actor/actress who says they were or still are very shy.  You might wonder how they can become uninhibited enough to play some of the roles they do (thinking of Nicole Kidman, for example), but I can understand that they are not themselves when doing that.  They become the character.  Still, it is not easy for many people.

Dancing came naturally to me.  I always had a talent for that and was surprised when I'd see people who couldn't move to save ther lives.

Nice to realize I do have some natural talents!

Valued Contributor

I wish I could play the piano. My niece plays beautifully without any sheet music. It's such a joy to listen to her talent. She played  her mom's favorite song at her mom's funeral. Don't know how she managed that! There wasn't a dry eye in the church. My sister was only 44. I am good in Math and great at scrabble and in my younger days an excellent paddle ball player. I'm not artistic or crafty in any way. My late sister was very talented in crafts and sewing her own wardrobe and her kid's clothes also. I would hate to think I have a talent that I'm not aware exists in me.

Respected Contributor

@ROMARY  Along the same rationale as an accordion, there is a keytar.  It's like a keyboard with a strap and you put it on like a guitar.  So you get the portability of the accordion but without the cumbersomeness of a keyboard, organ or piano.  My son has one.  And as the old saying goes, he's available for weddings, funerals and bar mitzvahs.  LOL.   And like you say, you can carry it with you to parties, etc.  

Someone famous for playing his on stage, in addition to his piano, organ and keyboard, is one of the lead singers of the band, Chicago......Robert Lamm.  So, didn't mean to go off on a tangent about it, but just if you really were interested in something like that for yourself.  🎹🎸🎵

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread