Trusted Contributor

Yes! I have had one for about 7 months now and I love it!  I like mine for not only steps but for telling me how many hours I sleep at night and also how much water I have consumed every day!!   I am not trying to lose weight!! 

I just wish it would hold a charge longer! Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

Never had the need for a tracker. When I am physically able to move, that is what I do. Have worn a Polar Chest Heart Rate Monitor for probably 30+ years. Have used an Oximeter since my 2 bouts with PE in 2002-2003. Use my Omron Blood Pressure Monitor every day, morning and at night, and if for some reason I feel the need to check it.

I can tell when I need more or less movement with my decades long practices of being able to read what my body is telling me, along with the aforementioned devices used regularly.

Always been my own motivator. I always have set goals I want to meet, during my worst times, and during my best of times. Right now I am in the best of times. 5 months ago I was in one of my worst of times. Having a fitness goal, be it for competitive events or recovering from injuries or life threatening events has me doing whatever it takes to try to reach those goals.

Some need companions or company to keep them motivated. For others things like a Fitbit fits their needs. My jobs have always required lots of movement, some more heavy lifting, others more walking and a little less lifting of heavy objects. All of my 33 year jobs were in a 100+° factory. Not in just the hot months, but pretty much the whole year.

Latest goal was ice skating/broke a rib, and then spent close to 4 months of some working with a Physical Therapist, but hours and hours of working on it in my home gym. Not quite there yet, but pretty danged close.

Whatever it takes to get your body to move more, take advantage of it while your movement is not completely impaired. Too many wait until they lose some, or most of their movement ability, and can be beyond the ability to regain it. To me that is sad. Use it while and when you can and not be a "coulda/woulda/shoulda" using hindsight. You and those close to you will be much happier.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

I use the Garmin Vivofit2........does same as Fitbit, could not get the newest Fitbit to sync with PC and went back to my Garmin Vivofit2...this has a battery which has been working for 2 yrs, does not require charging like Fitbit....

Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut How do you get your exercise John? I know you played (play) hockey

Do you walk? What do you have in your home gym?  I've worked heavy hard work all my life too. Also did some office jobs where I sat. Honestly,I found the office jobs more tiring and harder on my body.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

@MoJoV wrote:

@hckynut How do you get your exercise John? I know you played (play) hockey

Do you walk? What do you have in your home gym?  I've worked heavy hard work all my life too. Also did some office jobs where I sat. Honestly,I found the office jobs more tiring and harder on my body.

@MoJoV

Will try to make this short.

I walk on my treadmill. Sometimes using "intervals" of walking faster for 1-2 minutes/then raise the speed even more(maybe from a 3.0mph to 3.1mph) . At times I do this up to 4+mph, then I reverse it going from say 4.0mph to 3.9mph, all the way done to the starting point of 2.8 mph. Then I cool down at maybe 2.5 mph, at all times knowing my heart rate and my oxygen saturation(chest HR monitor and Oximeter).

Other days I do the same on the treadmill, but use a constant speed(after a 5-10 minute warmup) and do "intervals" and increase the elevation % of the treadmill. Again 1-2 minutes at say 3% going up to 12% and then reversing it. Down to 11%/10% down to level, no elevation. 

Some days I then get on my NuStep machine and use METS to measure how hard my body is working(still with HR monitor and Oximeter). Time on it depends on how long I walks and at what heart rate.

Other days I use only my ProForm Recumbent bike. It has 8 different 30 minute workout programmed into it. The higher the number the harder the 30 minutes. Again, it's HR and Oximeter to keep numbers in MY safe zone.

Then it's to either my BowFlex or Total Gym, depending on working the Upper Body or my Legs and/or Lower Body. Work more on muscle endurance than on max muscle strength. Some days I do up the resistance for raw strength(all while monitoring my vitals). 

Next I work maybe half hour on my balance exercises. From there I go to stretching all muscle groups used in that workout. More on skating and walking muscles(quads upper front of legs/hamstrings (back above knee big muscle)/calves and Achilles tendon. The longer my walking or riding, the longer I stretch.

Then I move on to my Abdominals. I spend between 10-20 minutes on these, included after this are my several back(spine) stretches. Next I go to my Teeter Inversion Table. Spend about 10-15 minutes at different inversions, included is Full Inversion, which at times I do Body Curl Ups.

Now when the ice rink has Public Skating, I skate for at least an hour(now that I can stay upright) or a little more. Went Monday and Tuesday this week. Next week I plan on Monday/Tuesday and Wednesday. I still come home and stretch and do my 10-20 minute abdominal workouts and Teeter Inversion.

This is as short as I can make it and I did not get even close to all the various exercises I do at home, and some, now that I can actually ice skate again, at the ice rink.

This covers some of what I do, but I always increase work load depending on my vitals readings during exercises and how long it takes my heart rate to come back down. Shorter time for heart rate to come down, the better my physical fitness.

Now please reply with more than "thanks"   =^..^=  =^..^=

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

No.  I received one as a gift and it was defective.  LOL  So it was returned.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Valued Contributor

I have a Blaze with the black, the blue, and silver metal watch band.  

I had a Flex but it didn't work well in a business environment.  The interchangeable bands are why I went with the Blaze.

I don't pay too much attention to my steps.  I always exceed 10,000.  

I am interested in my sleep.  The Blaze tracks how long the wearer is in each phase of sleep, from deep, to light, to REM.

It also prompts me to drink a little more water.

I wear mine as an overall indicator of health.

I love it.

Respected Contributor

Re: Do you wear a fitbit?

[ Edited ]

I have friends who love them, but I go by my daily weight-check and my energy level.  I ordered one that was a QVC TSV once and it made my wrist break out.  Allergic (a little bit) to rubber and latex.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks😊 @hckynut Whoa John. You're a beast!  I just walk a few miles a day and keep active with yard and house stuff. I have a Tony Little gazelle I rarely use. I'm thinking of buying one of those exerbikes they sell here or HSN. I'd like to be as dedicated as you. But something is better than nothing right? 

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Valued Contributor

I wear the Fitbit One and I love it. It definitely makes me walk more and that's a good thing!!!