Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you wear a corset to shrink your stomach?

No.

it's 2016, not 1816.

Honored Contributor

There is no way I would ever do that.  It cannot be good for your organs.  And I can't see how it could be comfortable -- at all. 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Funny how the words "girdle" and "corset" aren't used much any more. Spanx is as far as l'll go, and only on special occasions, when l have to fit into a party dress, lol. I dread having to sit around all day being uncomfortable.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Respected Contributor

No, I would never squeeze my organs like that.

Honored Contributor

Never wore one in my life.  Don't wear any of the modern spandex ones. Don't even wear shimmies.  Just a bra and underpants.  I'll go without a bra if the sundress has a "shelf" but that's it. 

Corsets are grotesque and ugly. And anti female.  Deforms your body and harmful to your health.  Same thing with girdles.  Go to the gym instead.

Respected Contributor

@AKgirl2 wrote:

@truffle wrote:

Can't be healthy or comfortable.  The pictures of celebs I've seen look deformed with a small waist that doesn't match their age, their life style of poor eating habits and their lack of a consistent workout to develop strong abs.  Wearing a waist trainer will do the opposite and over time atrophy your stomach muscles. 

@truffle ~ Sweetheart, I don't wear a bra unless I have to, and I have to!  Just can't see putting oneself through such uncomfort...

@AKgirl2 ...Me either! I'm large on top also, but the minute I get home, that contraption comes off!  Doesn't go on again until either I go out or until company is coming over. A sadist man must have invented those things.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

LOL! At  age 60, my waist being a size 23inch is the last thing I am worried about... trying to save my teeth and stay healthy.

Honored Contributor

@truffle wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

@truffle wrote:

Can't be healthy or comfortable.  The pictures of celebs I've seen look deformed with a small waist that doesn't match their age, their life style of poor eating habits and their lack of a consistent workout to develop strong abs.  Wearing a waist trainer will do the opposite and over time atrophy your stomach muscles. 

@truffle

Where did you get your info on "celebs" poor eating habits and lack of consistent core workouts? I don't particularly revel when I see such generalizations of any group, or class of people. I am more into specificity when it comes to the way I have dedicated myself to workouts for many decades now. I also prefer being specific to a "celeb", type their name.

Generalization in most things that involve groups(more than 1 person), are not something that says much to me, especially when it comes to negative comments about a group of people, in this case "celebs (your word, not mine).

ETA.  Me, wear a girdle? Nope, not even during the very fat years of my life. 

hckynut(john)

The corsets are not girdles hckynut(john) but worn to the extreme for many hours of the day and night as a shortcut to working out and eating right.  @hckynut

@truffle

Sorry I confused one garment from the other. As you know, that had nothing to do with my response to your generalization about "celebs" nutritional values, nor their "core" exercises.

My ETA(edited to add) was an afterthought only done to reply to the question in the title of your thread. Thus my seemingly contentious(?) use of the word girdle, instead of corset.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

truffle wrote:

The corsets are not girdles hckynut(john) but worn to the extreme for many hours of the day and night as a shortcut to working out and eating right.  @hckynut

Actually, @truffle, they are not necessarily worn as a shortcut to working out and eating right.  I think most celebrities do work out and eat right -- after all, they are on screen and in the limelight.  The corsets make one look even trimmer, whittling the waist down.  It's simply a vanity thing in this case. Those people who choose to wear them 24/7 are like the people who go overboard with their cosmetic surgery.

Honored Contributor

QGirl2 wrote:

My Physical Therapist said this is a no no and so are Spanx.  Anything that causes your organs to be pressed in is asking for trouble down the line.  

@GSPgirl,

Is your Physical Therapist also an MD that specializes in Internal Medicine? I've seen several Physical Therapist over the decades, mostly those that have Sports Medicine credentials.

Not a single one of them was an MD that specializes in Internal Medicine. They were only interested in the quickest and best way to help me correct my "specific" injury, not to speculate beyond their field of work, or their medical knowledge.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)