Honored Contributor

Re: Do you wear a corset to shrink your stomach?

@september wrote:

@VanSleepy   When I first started to wear the thigh high nylons (before pantyhose days) I wore a garter belt!  Those were kind of silly, too!  Don't know if I've ever told my daughter about these outdated things. 

Silly maybe but kind of sexy...

Respected Contributor

@september wrote:

I have worn Spanx a few times, under formal wear that was very fitted.   It's not so bad, but not something I'd want to wear often. 

One time QVC convinced me I needed to try Spanx.  It was something for the "top half".  I must have missed the part where you were supposed to step into it.  I was trapped inside of it at the shoulders. I thought, oh great I can't even return it because now I have to have someone come cut this thing off of me lol

Respected Contributor

Heck no!

Honored Contributor

lol no. I use a healthy diet and exercise/pilates (core training) to shrink my stomach, or actually I should say, to keep my stomach flat and strong.

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

lol no. I use a healthy diet and exercise/pilates (core training) to shrink my stomach, or actually I should say, to keep my stomach flat and strong.

So do I...but with tight fitting formal wear (mother of the groom, for instance) and tons of photos being taken.....a little extra help is good.

I do believe every size 0 actress wears shapewear when appearing on the red carpet for any event.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@september wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

So do I...but with tight fitting formal wear (mother of the groom, for instance) and tons of photos being taken.....a little extra help is good.

I do believe every size 0 actress wears shapewear when appearing on the red carpet for any event.

oh I can see wearing something like spanx for lumpy bumpies that even exercise can't necessarily smooth out (cellulite)- even thin people can have this-but a corset is just overkill and used mainly to give you more of an hourglass figure not necessarily to help smooth you out under tight fitting clothes.

I personally have never used spanx or anything like that as I have been very fortunate and don't have any issues with cellulite and I've always worked out so I haven't been overweight and don't have any rolls. BUT that isn't to say I would rule it out in the future if I had to!

I disagree that all people on the red carpet uses this type of thing though- not every women has issues with cellulite or rolls. There are women who could look good under tight fitting clothes without any help.

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze   just going by the comments they've made...that they do get a little extra help!  

And I got a little extra, too, at my son's wedding, even though I was in the best shape of my adult life at that time.  

Honored Contributor

Oh, and I think the corsets are a newer thing among the younger "in the spotlight young celebs".  But Spanx have been a mainstay for many years.

Honored Contributor

No, when I was a young girl I wore a panty girdle during a particular time of the month, but then manufacturers developed a pretty good adhesive strip on the products, lol.

I did a bustier thing once (lingerie).  My ribs have always been boney, the thought of a corset sounds like it would be painful. 

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

cathe-jung.jpg (255×357)