Honored Contributor

Re: Do you watch gift shows?

@stevieb. Yesterday I noticed that HSN is more specific w/ their gift shows: Beauty Gifts with .... etc.

Trusted Contributor

I've never watched those types of shows because when I have flipped over to see what's on, it's something I'm not interested in.

Honored Contributor

No. 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@mac116

A woman called in last night and she bought a Cuddl Dud long duster - and said to the host "Merry Christmas." What the heck. It's hard for me to watch any QVC show - as there's usually a Christmas Tree in the background. Not everyone is Christian or into Christmas. Soooo annoying. I used to enjoy th Q many, many years ago.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Spurt.  None of the shopping channels do a decent job on their gift choices.  With all the "stuff" available world-wide, you'd think they could come up with some new and innovative merchandise.  I remember a few years ago HSN had some merchandise that was great from the Museum of Modern Art.  I almost fainted but sadly it disappeared after one airing.  Why don't their highly paid buyers get with places like MOMA and dream up some merchandise?  It would benefit the museum and QVC.  Why don't they feature sparkly holiday party wear either for gifts or for the buyer?  We don't need more mukluks.  How about a line of sparkly holiday jewelry?  Louis del Olio is the only vendor who I've heard mention such a thing.  There are a million possible gifts for travelers that we never see.  How about "helper" devices for those with physical challenges; I saw a clever gadget in "new arrivals" but I bet nobody would think of it for  a gift show.  Please lose the heating pad; we're sick of it.  Can you imagine gift shows so exciting you wouldn't want to miss one?  The Q bores us for months with Christmas; they surely don't make the most of the season.

@Kachina624

What's funny some of the things you mentioned QVC used to do (and their financial reports reflected much better results back then too)..............

I remember really reasonably priced fashion jewelry some in the holiday vein, some for all year wear.  

Speaking of Museum of Art Collections, I remember Smithsonian items--- in fact I checked and there are still a few jewelry and games listed on the website from this collection.  

I seem to recall holiday fashion shows too....Although the Q seems to think everyone wears Cuddl Duds to all Holiday parties these days ---which isnt true--our company party is strictly formal attire---NO CUDDL DUDS ALLOWED--and Im sure other companies have the same dress code to make the party special. 

I'm getting catalogs in the mail already and am seeing all kinds of new and unique gadgets for the home, kitchen, etc etc....Different home decor accents too ....So many interesting things.....it seems QVC would also check to see what's new in the market place.....

But it seems the Q Buyers are stuck in a rut and just order what sold well in previous years--and I'll tell you why, I was doing a Google search trying to find something to include in my Q Did What Weekend Preview and one of my old threads came up from a year ago and guess what it had the SAME PROGRAMMING/SAME PRODUCTS for same month and week as last year!!!  Woman Frustrated  

One advantage that QVC and other shopping channels have over all other retailers is the get to visually show and demonstrate the merchandise they sell, but they arent taking full advantage of it....Instead they showcase products people see locally in every store or its a product that has its own infommercial (think Copper Chef and My Pillow as just 2 examples)....

And now it seems even if a line isnt that popular and doesnt sell that well--- think electronics ----where sales have been in decline for years, but they still show it ad nauseum because even if they dont sell many it has a big ticket price tag---so then they will keep showing it probably until they get rid of that inventory Woman Frustrated

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt   Why don't we ring up the Q and offer to work for them as gift buying consultants?  I'm sure we could do a better job.  I'm really surprised their buyers get away with such slovenly performances.   They're losing money.  They've got a VP in charge of product development.  He/she needs to be shown the door.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@kivah wrote:

@mac116

A woman called in last night and she bought a Cuddl Dud long duster - and said to the host "Merry Christmas." What the heck. It's hard for me to watch any QVC show - as there's usually a Christmas Tree in the background. Not everyone is Christian or into Christmas. Soooo annoying. I used to enjoy th Q many, many years ago.

@kivah  ITA. I’ve noticed that only Jane T. says for “Christmas gifts or Hanukkah” & when speaking w/ Susan Graver will say to “wear to Church or synagogue”.

Regular Contributor

Bah Humbug!

Honored Contributor

No.  Most of the people I would buy a gift for would rather have a gift card and/or money.  In the case of kids and grandkids they each get a check at Christmas (my grandkids are older).  We usually do go out looking for some small gift for them to open.......something we know they like or use. I can find them for a much better deal right around where I live. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Spurt   Why don't we ring up the Q and offer to work for them as gift buying consultants?  I'm sure we could do a better job.  I'm really surprised their buyers get away with such slovenly performances.   They're losing money.  They've got a VP in charge of product development.  He/she needs to be shown the door.

@Kachina624

They maintain their status quo and wonder why their revenues per quarter have been dropping....they used to see 9% increases, then it dropped to 6%, then 5%, now its down to 2% (and they've done some creative math and taking that 2% and with the change made in calculations turned it into 4%...so stockholders wont get nervous)

My aunt used to be a Department Manager for Woman's Wear at JCP, she told me why some Department Stores with the same chain have better merchandise than others and that has to do with Managers/Buyers....Headquarters would order and send the same merchandise to all stores, then the Manager would be given a budget and was able to order from Independent Manufacturers ---  some chose not to because it was a lot of extra work, but she always did, and her Department was always one of the top sellers in Womens Apparel out of all their stores, and she was promoted to Store Manager, then moved on as a District Manager for a Boutique, then Buyer--then she retired....But it shows if Managers/Buyers do the grunt work it pays off...

What I also hate about QVC is their own private definition of "new"...they add a new color and call the entire item NEW....but its NOT new, its the SAME ITEM and the extra color is new....Then Q will come out and say we added so many "new" items, but most arent really new at all... 

And dont the buyers notice how the different vendors are all doing the same thing---look how many are doing lanterns--Luminara, Home Reflections, Candle Impressions, Scot Brothers, Kringle Express, and Valerie....thats just one example!!!...Someone said there were 70 different ottomans, all the clothing lines are looking the same.....And just when you thought there was too many beauty products ....they add more....Kim Gravel with a beauty line now....Woman Frustrated

Why do I take time to gripe...because Id like to keep QVC as a viable retail option, but it seems they keep chasing me away with their bad decisions....Woman Sad  Theyalso have one of their Call Centers here and I dont want to see people get layed off/lose their jobs like QVC did a couple years ago...........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”