Honored Contributor

Do you watch QVC on days that specialize in only one thing?

[ Edited ]

I have found lately that I don't watch QVC on days where the products are ALL for only one area of interest. For instance, today is gem day, and since I don't normally wear jewelry, I haven't turned it on at all. Same thing if it is electronics or another area of interest programming.

It seems to me that you might lose viewers if your focus is only on one type of product for a full day. But if you have a day that encompasses most areas of interest (for instance, one hour or so of beauty, one hour of electronics, one hour of food, one hour of gardening, etc.), then you would have more viewers tuning in throughout the day. Does that make sense or am I all wrong on that?

If I want to see something about beauty, then I am more likely to turn the TV on a little before or keep it on a little after the specific thing I want to see. That increases my chances of "accidently" seeing some other products they might be able to entice me to buy.

Just wondering what you all think.

Respected Contributor

Re: Do you watch QVC on days that specialize in only one thing?

When I first began watching QVC I would tune in for almost anything makeup or clothes related, including handbags & shoes. I rarely missed PM/AM Style. Nowadays, I'm watching mostly product-specific shows...WEN and Laura Geller, mostly. Usually I just check on-line for new stuff and sales. So, no, I don't watch a whole day of anything.

Trusted Contributor

Totally agree--never watch all day Beauty, Christmas in July, food nor electronics. If it were mixed up there might be 1 or 2 shows I might watch. I have been with QVC for over 20 years and used to have it on all the time. Now they have the same things on over and over and fast-talking loud, pushy hosts. Plus the clothing items are now out of my price range. QVC---No longer my go to channel.

Valued Contributor

No. Especially the jewelry shows. Some people like it and that's great for them, different strokes. LOL

Honored Contributor

I watch depending on the "only one thing." 

For instance...

Jewelry = Yes (especially when it's a non-specific designer gallery like today).

Electronics = NO.

Respected Contributor

I don't watch cooking shows or food shows.  So, of course, I don't watch QVC if it's 24/7 cooking/kitchen/food shows.  That would be pointless.  I rarely buy electronics; I'm not looking for any electronics now, so I certainly wouldn't watch 24/7 electronic shows.  Or even one electronics show, for that matter.  Same goes for skincare.  I only buy fashions, shoes, handbags and occasionally jewelry from QVC.  But even when those shows are on all day; I don't watch tv all day.  I monitor QVC.com off and on all day but I'll watch tv presentations a couple of hours in the evening. 

Super Contributor

When I used to watch QVC with my mom as a kid, I used to watch only jewelry, since that's what she loves. I used to think In the Kitchen with Bob was so boring! As the years passed, I got really into cooking, and would love the kitchen and food shows, as well as In the Kitchen with David. I still like the kitchen shows and the Cooking on Q events, but I'm now more into beauty and fashion shows/days. I hardly have time to watch any day long event (or QVC in general), as I'm always working. I watch ITKWD on Sundays (if I'm not working) and some Wed. nights, and maybe catch a few shows on Friday afternoons (IsaacMizrahiLive! and Shawn Says, Accesorize!), and that's it. I do most of my Q shopping from browsing online. My mom, however, who is retired (she's loving the jewelry event today!), watches the Q daily. I think that's more of QVC's target audience--people of retirement age who have the time to tune in and the income to spend on their merchandise.

I think the event days are good for scoring deals and premiering new items. I'm surprised the Q did two event days back-to-back this week. If you don't care for kitchens/cooking or jewelry, you've been out of luck for 2 consecutive days! Day long events can be great, as long as you're interested in the theme. I would be bored to tears with an electronics/technology day, for example. The key is to have event days in categories that sell well for you. I think the Q gets that right: jewelry, fashion, beauty, and kitchen seem to be their biggest sellers.

Trusted Contributor

Ever since I started watching QVC I have only watched the shows I like or want to see.  I've never had a need to leave it on all day.  I have too many other things I like doing and want to see.  I pre-record everything. 

Esteemed Contributor

I only watch shows, on any channel or network, that have been previously recorded on our DVR. That assures me I am only watching programs I choose to watch.

I bring up "The Guide" that takes me 9-10 days down the road, read what is said about a program, then either hit "record" or I move on.

The retail sales of VCR's back in the late 1960's were a big  gift for tv watchers in making sure they could watch only programming they liked.

Technology has come a long way since the days of the VHS and the Betamax.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I only watch shows that have things I'm interested in. I don't keep QVC on all day, ever. Most of the time I record shows and fast forward through and only stop and watch if they have something that looks interesting. I might watch more often if there's a special event (like when David goes on remote, the Tomorrowland/Sprouts event, etc), of if I suspect something I'm interested in is coming up. Last weekend I watched two Philosophy shows I know they've got a lot of specials this month for the Month of Miracles.

If they're having a fashion day, I might watch a show I'm interested in, like a shoe show or a Dooney show. If they're having a beauty day, I might watch a WEN, Philosophy, or Tarte show.

I do most of my QVC shopping online instead of watching on TV.