Honored Contributor

Re: Do you trust the coin counting machines?

We have one of those empty 5 gallon water jugs from our water cooler we keep putting our change into.  It's about a quarter full right now and I'm thinking it may be time to take it in as it's going to be too heavy.  No way am I going to sit down and count out all that change. 

The only machine I have ever used is at my bank.  They charge a 10% fee to dump your change into their machine.  The last time I looked at Coinstar inside our local grocery store, it said that if you get at least 10% of your money in a gift card to that grocery store, there would be no fee.  I have no idea if that changed or not. 

Respected Contributor

I have used the the coin counter at my Publix twice, where they do charge a 10% fee.  But it's so cool to use---the disappearance of coins, a grind-y sound, and then the reappearance of bills--that I considered the surcharge as worth the entertainment value.

Both times, what appeared to be a huge trove translated into 20-30 dollars, so vast sums were not involved. 

Honored Contributor

Our bank does it for free for customers and I trust it.  I have a fairly good idea of how much there is in the jar and it's always pretty close to what I think it is.

Valued Contributor

OUr bank Chase does not accept coins in rolls.  They also got rid of their counting machine and pretty much discourage people from bringing large amounts of coins in. 

I no longer save coins in large containers.  I do have a small container of coins I save just for certain emerggencies.  I told my son, try to spend the change as you get it as its getting harder and harder to find places that will take it.  I use coin star and get some kind of a gift card if I need to get rid of a lot of change.  You also should not keep it in your car at least not visible because thieves will break into cars for a handful of change.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva - if the water jug is an old one made of glass, don't wait too much longer to take it in.  We had one and when we went to pick it up the bottom fell out!

Honored Contributor

@toria wrote:

OUr bank Chase does not accept coins in rolls.  They also got rid of their counting machine and pretty much discourage people from bringing large amounts of coins in.

It's pretty bad when banks no longer accept coins from their own depositors.  There oughta be a law!

Honored Contributor

Do I have a choice?   I trust that I can take my big axx jars of pennies, nickels and dimes to the coin machine and get rid of the chain and get some cash for it.  If never gave it any thought but it doesn't come as a surprise to me that we get short changed much of the time.  But I'm okay with that, the change wasn't doing me any good just sitting there.  When my girls were little, we'd cash our change in and we'd give the girls the money do their Christmas shopping.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

That is some quick wrapping ...only taking about five minutes..still wouldn't want to do it lol

Esteemed Contributor

I put change in a jar that has a lid that counts it as it goes in.  What I get back from the bank is close enough to what my jar says when I take it in.  So, yes, I trust the one at the bank.  Haven't used any others.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

I save our change in a big jar, then give it to our Grands.  They use a coin counting machine.  I hope for their sake it is accurate.  They've always been thrilled with the amount they've gotten.