Honored Contributor

Re: Do you treat yourself to something for your birthday?

No, I don't.   Those that do-enjoy!Smiley Happy

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I stopped celebrating my birthday 30 years ago. 

Honored Contributor

I always do - sometimes several things!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, I usually do.  In years gone by, I would purchase myself a nice piece of jewelry.  In recent years, I have scaled down the spending, but I still buy myself something.  I might buy a new top or something like that.  

I used to get so excited about birthdays.  Even as an adult.  Why, I have no idea.  I don't know what I expected to happen!  I guess its a throwback from childhood!!! 

In any event, I think a person's birthday is a special day and even if no one else remembers it, celebrates it, honors it, or whatever --- we should treat ourselves and make ourselves feel good.  It's one day out of the year and we deserve something happy --- even if its only a trip to the local pastry shop to get a good cup of coffee and a danish or going to get a pedicure!!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Generally no, but this year I did.

When I see something I like I just buy it, so to buy something for myself on my birthday is kind of stupid.  But I did see something I wanted, and it was right around my birthday, so I called it a birthday gift to myself.  However, in reality, it was just an excuse to buy it.  Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

My birthday is 2 weeks after Christmas so my DH almost always gives me money or a gift card so I can shop the sales for myself.I still have my one from this year in my wallet.

Trusted Contributor

OP here. We have decided to have a small get-together of my brother & his wife & a friend who is here from Seattle. DH is going to put a chicken on the rotisserie on the grill, potato salad, green beans, and biscuits. SIL is making me a pan of dark chocolate brownies (at my request) and we'll have ice cream & toppings to make sundaes. I'm not a fan of traditional birthday cakes, but brownies are my favorite dessert, so I'm indulging in them. The party will be on our new screened in patio, so no worries if it rains. 

Happy Birthday to all you July girls out there!!

Honored Contributor

I used to .. but I have so much stuff - the past couple of years, I made a donation to a favorite charity.

Valued Contributor

@NycVixen wrote:

@qtrmoonlady1 wrote:

Always!  Last year I bought myself a front row mezzanine ticket to see "Cats" on Broadway. Not sure what I'm doing this year.  

OMG @qtrmoonlady1 that's what I did for my birthday! I went to see Cats with my husband also in front mezzanine. I can't believe they didn't get nominated for Best Revival this year. The play was as amazing as I remember!!!

I also bought a beautiful floral printed midi skirt to wear, which a patron complimented during intermission. I had such a great time.  This year we might go away also not sure yet. I want to see Hamilton but that's not going to happen.

@NycVixen Your skirt sounds beautiful - so nice that you got a compliment to remember, along with seeing a great show!   I just bought a ticket to see "The Great Comet" for August 13, the day after my birthday.  Sorry Josh Groban has left the show, but judging from the number they performed on the Tony Awards, it all looks colorful and intriguing and I'm sure his replacement (who, btw, had performed in "Hamilton"), will be excellent.  Smiley HappyHeart     

Honored Contributor

absolutely--this year I replaced my old dinnerwre with bright, happy fiesta ware.