Honored Contributor

Re: Do you tip when you get take out?

[ Edited ]

@PhatCat wrote:

When I go to a sit-down restaurant and pay with a credit card, I do.  If I pay cash, I don't.  There is something about seeing that "tip" line on the receipt that makes me feel guilty if I don't, lol.

So - if you go to a sit-down restaurant and pay with cash, you don't tip at all?  I don't understand that logic.

Respected Contributor

I only tip if I am sitting down to eat my meal. It seems as if everyplace that you go  nowadays that you see a tip jar. I went into Baskin Robins the other day to get a scoop of ice cream and they had a tip jar. Seriously, I am getting a scoop of ice cream.

Esteemed Contributor

I have a add on question. What % do you tip when eating at a buffet where the server's duties are limited to asking you what beverage you want and bringing it and re-filling it if requested to,do so. you get your own plate and food at the buffet and return to your table with it. What % do you tip,for that?
Honored Contributor

@MJ12 wrote:

@PhatCat wrote:

When I go to a sit-down restaurant and pay with a credit card, I do.  If I pay cash, I don't.  There is something about seeing that "tip" line on the receipt that makes me feel guilty if I don't, lol.

So - if you go to a sit-down restaurant and pay with cash, you don't tip at all?  I don't understand that logic.

I read this a few times because I was confused.  Then I started to think what she means is that if she orders take out from a sit down restaurant and pays cash she doesn't tip. 

At least I hope that's what she means. I  hope she doesn't mean she goes inside and dines but doesn't tip if she pays cash. 

Honored Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:
I have a add on question. What % do you tip when eating at a buffet where the server's duties are limited to asking you what beverage you want and bringing it and re-filling it if requested to,do so. you get your own plate and food at the buffet and return to your table with it. What % do you tip,for that?

I would only tip a couple of bucks. 

I don't eat at buffets though so maybe that's not right.

Honored Contributor

@LipstickDiva wrote:

@MJ12 wrote:

@PhatCat wrote:

I read this a few times because I was confused.  Then I started to think what she means is that if she orders take out from a sit down restaurant and pays cash she doesn't tip. 

At least I hope that's what she means. I  hope she doesn't mean she goes inside and dines but doesn't tip if she pays cash. 

Thanks LD!  That makes more sense. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I never have thought about tipping at a take out place.  Most food servers had to start somewhere in the business they did not just get hired at an upscale place.  I bet it would put a spring in there step and nice for the customer behind you.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Occasional Contributor

Most of the time I do.

Frequent Contributor

Absolutely not, I would think they'd be grateful and appreciate my business. They already charge enough for the food as it is. Everybody wants to put out a tip jar these days for people's "spare" dollar bills and change. I'm wondering where I can put a couple! 

~ It's a good day when I didn't have to unleash the flying monkeys! ~
Respected Contributor

My takeout is limited to Chinese food.  After the first experience, if the food and service were very good, I tip 15%.  When it slips, that's the end of the tipping...soon, I don't go there at all.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill