Respected Contributor

Delivery-always

Drive Up windows like McDonald's-no

To Go orders in a restaurant-yes

~Enough is enough~
Honored Contributor

Re: Do you tip when you get take out?

@sidsmom wrote:
I see those tip jars at Starbucks.....uh, nope.

Thought tipping a compensation for not wait staff not making minimum wage, yes?

tansy: Good reminder...but if the host/cashier is ringing up an order, how can one be sure the $ are allotted to the server preparing an order (whom is not visible in the takeout area)?

@sidsmom

In my restaurant career, when going to a sit down restaurant, like Outback Steakhouse, for example, the bartender rings up the order at the bar.  At the end of the night, that bartender is TAXED on a percentage of the total sales for the night.  When I waitressed, we had to declare 8% of our total sales as tips, regardless of what percentage we might have earned.  So if a bartender or your table server has rung up an order "to go" they will be taxed on that order.  

Valued Contributor

Yes - always.

It is the right thing to do.

Trusted Contributor

Home delivery, yes.

Driv thru, no.

Pick up/carry out, no.
Honored Contributor

The only time I tip getting take-out is if it's carside service and they have to bring everything out to me.  I give them a couple of bucks.  Otherwise, no I do not tip.

Respected Contributor

The restaurants that we order takeout chinese and italian from offer online ordering and you have the option of adding a tip.  We always add a 15% tip.  They also charge a delivery charge.  So, I don't tip the delivery person.  However, just last week, I found out that my husband does give the delivery person a $3 tip because he isn't sure that the delivery person gets part of the tip.  I just never considered that.  When we order takeout and pick it out ourselves, we do tip but only if there is  tip jar at the cash register. 

Super Contributor

When I go to a sit-down restaurant and pay with a credit card, I do.  If I pay cash, I don't.  There is something about seeing that "tip" line on the receipt that makes me feel guilty if I don't, lol.

Honored Contributor

I tip anywhere there is a tip jar and sometimes if there isn't I will give extra money.

I tip because I can afford to do so.

You do not want to know how much it costs me to go to the ladies room at the Charlotte Airport when I have a layover ;o)

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I really appreciate everyone's responses here.  I am not in a position at this point in my life to place carry out orders at regular restaurants (I would classify these as being the ones that have dedicated parking spots out front for pick up orders for example) but if I ever do splurge I will take this advice to heart.

Thank you!

Respected Contributor

If I'm ordering takeout and pick it up or its delivered I always tip a buck or two - but not at fast food.