Honored Contributor

Re: Do you tip when you get take out?

At a drive thru, the person you pay, usually just does the drinks and straws and stuff, right?

Other people are back there flipping burgers, working the hot oil for fries, and running it all up to the cashier.

They just speak in a microphone and take your order.  They would have to share the tip to be fair.

Honored Contributor

No.    I generally buy dinner from the deli counter in the supermarket.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

A lot of times I stop for a cup of coffee and a soft-serve cone at a certain Burger King just off the interstate on my way home from out of town. I sit at a table and there is usually somebody tidying up the entire dining area. They aren't doing anything for me personally but I usually speak and hand them a buck or two when I leave. Over a period of months I kept seeing the same lady. Turns out she was supplementing her Social Security income and said she also worked there because she liked it. Next time it was a very young person. The employees out in the dining area in that location are pleasant and working hard. They definitely aren't expecting anything from customers except maybe a little common courtesy. 

Super Contributor

Interesting comments ...

~~ Good enough is good enough ~~
Respected Contributor

No, we never tip when we pick it up.

Honored Contributor

I tip when I get take out--not at places like Subway--at places like PF Changs, etc.  The person who takes the orders has to check orders, bag, etc.  I order from places for lunches for my offices, and I always leave 10% on large orders especially.

DH tips about $3 at Changs for take out.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Respected Contributor

No. I do not think handing someone an order is the same as providing them service at a table. There is so much more time and work serving a table. I do tip if someone brings food to my car

Esteemed Contributor

Yes I do feed the tip jars.

My favorite Pho and Chinese places know me and even pack in more food in my orders, give me a free dessert, appetizers, coupons.
Respected Contributor

No.   Delivery, yes.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

We get Chinese Take-out at least once a week which we pick up.  I've never even thought to tip.

FWIW, according to Emily Post:

Take Out     No Obligation.  10% for extra service (curb delivery) or a large complicated order.