Honored Contributor

Re: Do you tip when you get take out?

To me tipping at a takeout place is like tipping the cashier at the grocery store or the clerk at the drug store or convenience store.  I see no reason to do it.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

To me tipping at a takeout place is like tipping the cashier at the grocery store or the clerk at the drug store or convenience store.  I see no reason to do it.

I'll add I am a great tipper for my salon, or for people who provide a service, and at restaurants.  But take out?  Nope.  

Honored Contributor

Sidsmom -- If I don't see the server packing up my order, I don't leave a tip.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Honored Contributor

McDonald's doesn't equate to picking up a dinner at a regular full-service restaurant.  

Honored Contributor

If it ios being delivered I tip the delivery person but if I pick it up , no.

Valued Contributor

Well it depends, if I am getting "Take Out" and I am picking it up or driving through and I am paying with my bank card-then unless I have a couple bucks I do not. Same scenario and if I am paying with cash (yes even the drive thru) then Yes I do. It seems to makes their day.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Daisy -- Obviously you can do whatever you want regarding tipping.  The counter people at McD's make minimum wage though.  A server in a restaurant in most states makes much less per hour and relies on the tips to make a decent wage.  

Honored Contributor

If you mean at a "take out" or curb service where they bring your meal to the car...always. Drive thru were you get your meal passed from an open window...no.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**