Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you tip when you get take out?

Yes of course. Getting an order together for take out can be very involved especially if my family is ordering. I almost always get sauces on the side and stuff in seperate containers because I don't like my food touching. I always tip at least 25% at sit down or take out because I know it isn't easy. We have certain places that we get takeout from and they usually know how we like it and they do a great job.

I don't go to Starbucks and I don't tip at drive throughs but I do tip for take out at a sit down restaurants because that is a lot of extra work. I also did that job for a lot of years and I find people who were servers are almost always great tippers.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Trusted Contributor

Delivery - yes

Pick up - no

Honored Contributor

It never occurred to me to tip when picking up take out.

Esteemed Contributor

NO!  Tipping is supposed to be for very good service.  Having a meal in a restaurant, sure I'll tip 20% to the server.  In a drive-thru or walk-in, no way.   Tip cups at Dunkin' Donuts and McDonalds is absurd.  Things are getting ridiculous! 

Honored Contributor

I'd rather pay 15% more for the meal, take out or sit down than have to tip to make up for their low wage. I don't know, do most eateries even pay minium wage?

Honored Contributor

@Daisy wrote:

Why would you tip them if you're the one who drove there to pick it up? Seems silly. You don't tip the cashier at the McD's counter, do you?

Because they are taking the order, going to the kitchen, checking the order, putting condiments in, bagging the order, etc.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Winamac wrote:

@Daisy wrote:

Why would you tip them if you're the one who drove there to pick it up? Seems silly. You don't tip the cashier at the McD's counter, do you?

Because they are taking the order, going to the kitchen, checking the order, putting condiments in, bagging the order, etc.

I agree. I receive great service. 

Respected Contributor

I very seldom get take-out, but when I do order take-out from a sit-down restaurant I tip about 5%. 

Unless I am stuck at an airport, I don't go to fast food venues, and even in an airport I will do sit-down if I have time. I don't order coffee out because I prefer my own at home.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

Yes of course. Getting an order together for take out can be very involved especially if my family is ordering. I almost always get sauces on the side and stuff in seperate containers because I don't like my food touching. I always tip at least 25% at sit down or take out because I know it isn't easy. We have certain places that we get takeout from and they usually know how we like it and they do a great job.

I don't go to Starbucks and I don't tip at drive throughs but I do tip for take out at a sit down restaurants because that is a lot of extra work. I also did that job for a lot of years and I find people who were servers are almost always great tippers.

And, I was a server so I know... 

I agree.   My take out orders are always a PITA for servers as I change things around, get specific sauces or no sauces, extra this-minus this, etc.  They deserve to be compensated.  Plus, they do far more than give you the order.  They have to ring it in, check it, etc. etc. etc. 

I do not tip at Starbucks though unless I have a large order.  I may give them a buck or two.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"