Respected Contributor

Re: Do you think your life would be different if you...

I think I'd be thinner - I tend to fluff up in the winter when I can hide in bulky clothing. 

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Esteemed Contributor

We've lived in New England all our lives.  We actually enjoy the change of seasons.  Now that we are retired, we don't have to go out when the winter weather is bad.  We pay to have our long driveway plowed.  We enjoy being between Boston and NYC.  we do take advantage of all the museums and historical sites in this area.  Most importantly, our children and two grandchildren are rooted here.  I would never move away from them.  I do remember a friend's elderly mother complaining to her, "I really don't know my grandchildren."  Her response was direct:  "You moved away from them."  I have never forgotten that sad story.

Honored Contributor

no

hnj

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Hi john, how are you?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

Well, I've lived in a few different climates..hot, cold, moderate.

I'd say I'm in my perfect climate right now.  I live in the PNW, on Puget Sound. 

Contrary to popular belief, it doesn't rain here all the time.  In fact, this past winter was pretty dry (where I live, anyway.) 

When it does rain, we don't let it bother us.  We get out and do whatever we want. 

We get changes of seasons, but mild winters and beautiful summers..low to no humidity.

The only other place that I'd consider living would be Monterey, California, but I can't afford it!   Smiley Happy  I lived there for a couple years in my twenties (grad school.)

So I'm quite happy here.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have not (except when I was very young) lived in snow areas or frequent freezing temps or temps below 40.

I lived most of my life in SoCal. I didn't have to worry much about rain, cold wind, or keeping warm. A rainy day was a treat. I had no problem enjoying a day at home.

Heat, I had a problem with. There were many outdoor things I wanted to do on the weekends that I just would not/could not do in 85-100+ degree heat. It wasn't a matter of shade or staying hydrated; some just can't take the heat.

I recently moved to the Central Coast of CA. Cooler temps, even in summer. More rain, mist and fog. More breeze/wind. Bright, very sunny days with temps in the 60s. I can go anywhere and do pretty much anything I want for all but a couple months of the year in a few places. I'm already much happier.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Absolutely.  Climate and where you are.

I can't take heat or much sun so I'm glad I live in an area that for most of my life has had a lot of fog.

I also appreciate living in a sea port area, life is much different in those areas, including in the American south.

Having people come in to sea port areas for a very long time, decades and decades, changes that place by exposure to different cultures, their traditions, their food, etc.  It's wonderful.

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

Great question @Mominohio

I've been so lucky to have been a snowbird for 14 seasons now..  I have the almost best of both north and south.  I see the season change from spring to summer and again from summer to fall while I'm in the North, but I don't have to cope with the ice, snow, and frigid winter months.  Same with Florida, I get all of the cooler months but some of the heat without going 6 months stright needing to escape constantly into A/C to be comfortable.

I love both, but I do think that I wouldn't appreciate my Florida months nearly so much if I'd never lived through chains on tires, snow shovels and ice melters always at the ready from December through March had I never known their reality.

After my 14 Florida winters, I'm still excited by coffee on the terrace at 7 in the morning or feeling okay to run out and look at the moon or even go to the supermarket at 9 at night without finding coat and scarf and gloves. There's a freedom to "winter" in Florida that just isn't there for me in PA or NY where I always lived before now.

As I know my ability physically and financially to continue snowbirding isn't many seasons away, I haven't decided which climate I'll choose. I suspect I'll choose more based on people than on climate.  In the end, my life has been changed most by the people I've known than it has been by the climates where I've lived. 

@millieshops

What a perfect post, and so like many in my family's experiences. My grandparents and many of my great aunts and uncles would winter in Florida and summer in Ohio, when I was a kid. My grandparents were the only ones to move there permanently. They all lived into their late 80's and 90's and truly appreciated being able to live in the best of both worlds. 

As a child we would visit, and I did feel like a different person when there. Something about blue skies and shuffleboard games at 10:00 pm on a December night that make life feel like it is perpetually June!

We never know what life holds for us, but I'd love to be able to do what my relatives did, and maybe after retirement, that will happen.

Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

I spent a lot more time outdoors when I lived in the San Francisco East Bay because the temperatures were more moderate. In Austin, the summers are long and hot and there's more humidity, as well. And because my allergy season changed dramatically in Texas, now the times of year with the best weather are also the times of the year I'm most allergic to and have to limit outdoor time.

My parents grew up in the midwest and the snow and I know they remember it. Mom is from Milwaukee and when we visit anywhere in Wisconsin, I note the lush, green lawns and way some of the homes are set back in the lawn and have long driveways. Mom just says, "That's just more driveway to shovel." That's a thought that is totally foreign to me, having only lived in the San Francisco Bay Area and Austin.

Super lush, green lawns are also mostly foreign to me because I've spent so many years in droughts, but they sure are beautiful.

@ChynnaBlue

Your post describes the love/hate relationship of living in the north! 

The beautiful green grass and trees (especially in the country) is such a bonus in the area we live in, but the constant mowing (twice a week this time of year) is a commitment for sure! 

And your mom is so right. I love to see a big front yard, with lots of trees and green grass, and a long driveway, but oh the shoveling! And to pay to have it done can get quite expensive (like hiring the mowing done, can as well). 

The fall colors make winter ALMOST worth it, and would be one of the things I would miss the most.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use to live in Florida and I was very happy down there with the weather but I will say the summers were unbearable. Then I moved back up to Pennsylvania and my mood changed and no I'm not as happy.  But I had to move back because my husband passed away I didn't want to be down there alone. Its just much happier down there everybody's happy down in Florida. And you always have a little Summerglow from being slightly tan all year round.