Respected Contributor

Re: Do you think your life would be different if you...

I moved from a midwestern to a desert climate.  I would never go back to a cold, dark place to live.

I think people are generally happier and in better physical condition in a moderate to warm climate.

~Enough is enough~
Honored Contributor

I spent a lot more time outdoors when I lived in the San Francisco East Bay because the temperatures were more moderate. In Austin, the summers are long and hot and there's more humidity, as well. And because my allergy season changed dramatically in Texas, now the times of year with the best weather are also the times of the year I'm most allergic to and have to limit outdoor time.

My parents grew up in the midwest and the snow and I know they remember it. Mom is from Milwaukee and when we visit anywhere in Wisconsin, I note the lush, green lawns and way some of the homes are set back in the lawn and have long driveways. Mom just says, "That's just more driveway to shovel." That's a thought that is totally foreign to me, having only lived in the San Francisco Bay Area and Austin.

Super lush, green lawns are also mostly foreign to me because I've spent so many years in droughts, but they sure are beautiful.

Respected Contributor

I'm happy with our four distinct seasons.  Extremes in either cold or heat bother me.  I actually like cool, rainy days (except for the frizz factor) because I find them peaceful and soothing.  I wouldn't be happy in a hot climate all year round as I don't like my knees.  :-)

Honored Contributor

@PenneyT wrote:

I always say that I'm "solar powered", lol! I love and need the sun here in Texas. (I've had my share of 'bad' in my life, but I'm basically a very happy, grateful person, maybe the weather helps. ) I like foggy, overcast days, especially for a drive-things seem to look more romantic then!- but I wouldn't want them for too long.

I also like to be out in the yard and in nature as often as possible, I like being able to start working on the gardens in Feb. and March. 

I've visited my Dad up north, and it is very beautiful, but I wouldn't be happy there.

@PenneyT  How funny - I lived up north for over 50 years and now we are in Texas.

I do miss the autumn season but we've learned to live quite nicely without the snow.  lol

If I had grown up here I most likely would not have engaged in "winter" sports like skating and skiing.  Although I still have my cross-country skiis here in the garage.  LOL  My downhill skiis are long gone.

I'd still be an outdoor person, though.  Maybe I'd have learned to ride a horse.  LOL

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

I grew up in Northern California and moved to the upper Midwest 30 years ago. What I first noticed was how much friendlier people are here. I hated my first winter and wondered why I had ever chosen to move to such a cold place. But I got over it. I started running, took up golf. Started living my life here. I ran outside all year and found my favorite running temp to be 15 degrees F. There is less anonymity and a greater sense of community here. I like to change out clothes twice a year. My only regret, if I have one, is that golf is limited to eight or nine months a year, depending on the year and weather conditions. I think people are as happy here as anywhere.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Respected Contributor

I lived the first half of my life in the Chicago area for 30+ years and have lived in the desert southwest for the other 30+ years.  I compare the summers here to the winters back there - cabin fever.  The only difference is here you can go out during the summer if you choose to.  Back there you sometimes didn't have that choice because of being snowed in.  I don't miss the winters at all.....been there, done that.  Lots of awesome memories of growing up and living back there though.  Heart   

Respected Contributor

I'm happy anywhere my family is.

That being said, I do not want to live in a winter climate for much longer.  As soon as my kids are out of school and situated, we will be moving to a warm climate. 

I absolutely detest snow, cold, ice.  I couldn't live anywhere where it was cold and dreary and foggy either.  I don't even mind humidity.  I just want to live near the water and see the ocean every day!

Honored Contributor

If your kids stay put, you sound like a perfect candidate to be a snowbird.  Maybe a condo on the beach?

Honored Contributor

I do not like sun or heat. Prefer cooler, darker places or just I just stay inside more.

Respected Contributor

@tansy wrote:

If your kids stay put, you sound like a perfect candidate to be a snowbird.  Maybe a condo on the beach?

I think they'll follow, @tansy.  They're ready to go now.  LOL