Honored Contributor

Do you think your life would be different if you...

lived in a different climate?

Just responded to a thread on what to do on a rainy day, and one response got me to thinking about where we live, and how that affects our lives.

When I was a kid, my parents looked at moving to Florida. I always wondered how just living in the different climate would have changed my life. 

We tend to think that lots of sunshine and warm weather make our moods better and get us out and involved in more, than when you live in a climate that is at least partly cold, dark, dreary, or ice/snowy.

So, do you ever think your life would be different (better/worse ?) if you lived in a different climate. Have you lived in two very different climates and seen a difference in your attitudes, moods, health, happiness, activity level etc.? Please share.

Super Contributor

Re: Do you think your life would be different if you...

I always say that I'm "solar powered", lol! I love and need the sun here in Texas. (I've had my share of 'bad' in my life, but I'm basically a very happy, grateful person, maybe the weather helps. ) I like foggy, overcast days, especially for a drive-things seem to look more romantic then!- but I wouldn't want them for too long.

I also like to be out in the yard and in nature as often as possible, I like being able to start working on the gardens in Feb. and March. 

I've visited my Dad up north, and it is very beautiful, but I wouldn't be happy there.

Esteemed Contributor

We moved from Northern Ohio to Central Florida in 2007.  It has been quite an adjustment.  I will say that I do think people are in a better mood here than there.  There is a lot to do outside year round, not just physical activities but socializing as well (parties, wine tastings, etc). One does get used to the heat and humidity in the summer.  It does not mean we don't complain about it, but it does not stop anyone from doing anything outside if they really want to.

I think if you are an outdoor person, you will be so no matter where you live.  Same thing with indoor people.  You just learn to adjust your activities to what you can do.

Personally, I miss the cold and the snow.  But I run across very few people down here who do.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

I was born & raised in the beautiful Sandhills in  north central Nebraska.  The winters were unbearable for me.  I resented having to run my car all night due to the bitter cold so it would start the next morning; scraping sheets of ice off my windshield; being snowed in for days because the snow drifts blocked our doors & couldn't get out until a neighbor could dig us out.  DH & I met, we married & a job promotion for me took us to South Florida & 20 years later, we would never leave Florida.  For us, it is truly paradise.   The winters are phenomenal & I cannot tell you the last time I had a coat on.  However, my sister could not imagine not having 4 distinct seasons & would never live where we live & accuses me of being a traitor to my fellow Nebraskans, lol.  Some people spend a lifetime saving up to retire down here.  Loving the fact we are already here!  Fresh produce available at all times, gorgeous tropical plants & exotic wildlife right out your front window.  You couldn't pay me enough to move!  

Honored Contributor

I have wondered.  My mom's emigrated from PEI and settled in ME and MA.  They had deep northern roots.  My dad was born in and spent his youth in GA, he was sent to Tallahasse FL for high school and Technical School after which he went into the army and upon discharge lived in NYC for  while and then settled in the Boston area.  When we were kids, his grandmother passed away and left him her house and a lot of land in FL.  He wanted relocate but my mom wouldn't consider it, wouldn't even talk about it.  Over the years, I have wondered what my life would have been like if the family had relocated.  To be honest, I think my parents marriage might have been happier.  But except for having better weathe, I don't think anytbj would have been different for us kids.  We would have all finished hs and gone to college and had careers.  Different schools....different careers sure.   We would have married and had families.  We are products of HOW we are raised not WHERE.  Here in MA, I had cousins, aunts etc on my mom's side.  But in FL, I still would have had big, loving extended family.....it just would have been Dad's relatives.  That's what I think anyway.....

Respected Contributor

Lived in Indiana, moved to sunny California at 13, lived there for over 37 years, then moved back to Indiana 13 years ago.  I love the change of climates here in Indiana and only wish I would have moved back years earlier.  It's something to look forward to, the spring flowers, the hot humid sunny days in the summer (yes, I love humidity because my dry skin loves it), the beautiful fall foliage and then winter (which I like a little less over the past 13 years, but it gives me a break from working so hard in my yard all summer), and it gives me times to do lots of reading and crafts. 

Respected Contributor

I lived in various places in the North until 15 years ago. Because I was younger, healthier, more agile I did not mind the winter weather. Now I totally enjoy being in the warm climate and not having to deal with ice, snow and cold. Summer is a bit oppressive, but it is no different than the disadvantages of 'hibernating' in the northern winter. Now I am either in the AC or in the pool in the summer.
Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

Lived in Indiana, moved to sunny California at 13, lived there for over 37 years, then moved back to Indiana 13 years ago.  I love the change of climates here in Indiana and only wish I would have moved back years earlier.  It's something to look forward to, the spring flowers, the hot humid sunny days in the summer (yes, I love humidity because my dry skin loves it), the beautiful fall foliage and then winter (which I like a little less over the past 13 years, but it gives me a break from working so hard in my yard all summer), and it gives me times to do lots of reading and crafts. 

************  I'm with you on this....I am a hoosiergirl, too........ born and raised here.  I know, like you, I would miss the change of the seasons and look forward to each one and what it has to offer.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have lived in one extreme to another from Newfoundland, Canada to Hawaii. Still did outdoor activities in both places. I'm sure we had to stay indoors a lot more in Canada with all the snow & blizzards. We were at the beach almost every weekend when we lived in Hawaii & at the pool during the week. This all happened when my dad was in the military & we lived on base. Now that I'm older I like to have some of both types weather. It is more depressing in the winter when it's cold dark & dreary waiting for the sun to shine. I don't get out & do more in the summer now because I don't like it when it's really hot. I want to stay where there's AC.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I grew up in a climate where there were the 4 distinct season (I always absolutely hated and still hate winter weather).  I then moved/lived/worked for a number of years in Hawaii.  I never felt better health-wise than I did those years I lived in the islands.  In 2009, due to business reasons, I had to moved back to where I grew up and I hate it as much as I always did.  Luckily, I travel back to Hawaii quite often and always hate the day when I have to get on the plane to leave!  It always feels like home to me.