Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you think your life would be different if you...

@Mominohio There is no doubt in my mind my life would have/would be much better.  Since I was a child I was always a Summer girl and always dreamed of living in Florida.  I have family there now and every time we have visited in the past 30 years my DH has made  the comment that I'm a different person once I get there. I have a chronic illness now that is highly affected by weather changes.  In the colder months I'm down for months at a time.  Dampness is just as bad.   It's horrible to have no control of your life.  We have talked about relocating for years but we're always held back by jobs, kids and other family responsibility.  Now that we are older even though I would leave tomorrow I don't think my DH would be able to handle such a big change.

Honored Contributor

I lived in Louisiana for 4 years when I was stationed there in the military. Talk about oppressive humidity! Being from Ohio, I definitely wasn't used to that. Yes, there are some humid days here in the summer, but not like that. I also missed the seasons changing. At any rate, if we ever move it won't be anywhere that's humid all the time. 

Honored Contributor

I do think my life would had been better,if many years ago, we would had moved back to Indiana, like i wanted to do, we had lots of family then, i truly feel it was a mistake not to. I hate humid weather, lived in Alabama for 3 years,hated it, but i think i would have got use to it, plus family is more important.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Great question @Mominohio

I've been so lucky to have been a snowbird for 14 seasons now..  I have the almost best of both north and south.  I see the season change from spring to summer and again from summer to fall while I'm in the North, but I don't have to cope with the ice, snow, and frigid winter months.  Same with Florida, I get all of the cooler months but some of the heat without going 6 months stright needing to escape constantly into A/C to be comfortable.

I love both, but I do think that I wouldn't appreciate my Florida months nearly so much if I'd never lived through chains on tires, snow shovels and ice melters always at the ready from December through March had I never known their reality.

After my 14 Florida winters, I'm still excited by coffee on the terrace at 7 in the morning or feeling okay to run out and look at the moon or even go to the supermarket at 9 at night without finding coat and scarf and gloves. There's a freedom to "winter" in Florida that just isn't there for me in PA or NY where I always lived before now.

As I know my ability physically and financially to continue snowbirding isn't many seasons away, I haven't decided which climate I'll choose. I suspect I'll choose more based on people than on climate.  In the end, my life has been changed most by the people I've known than it has been by the climates where I've lived. 

Honored Contributor

I've lived in different climates. Hot doesn't get people out more. It drives them inside to the air conditioning. When I lived in the desert once summer hit and it was 115+ we purposely did things very early in the morning. It was just too hot during the day. I got heat exhaustian more than once and it's not enjoyable.  Hot and humid isn't any better. I'll take cooler weather any day of the week. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Trusted Contributor

I know two things for sure--I couldn't live in Florida again, and you couldn't pay me enough to return to New England.  The latter was a great place to grow up, but I'm extremely logical, and I'd resent the taxes.

Recently my dad and I considered moving to the mountains, but the taxes in NC and Tenn were obnoxious, and we met too many people who either accepted driving hours for medical care, or they had to outright leave.  

Where I currently live has the best medical care, tons of grocery stores, and so much shopping that hitting a regional mall is redundant.  Even the country has traffic so there's no escaping that part of life.  

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Contributor

I spent the first 49 yrs in Chicago's North Shore and 4 in SE Wisconsin. We did everything: skating, Tobogganing, building snow forts in the winter and always looked forward to real hot chocolate when we came inside. Summer's were swimming and spending weeks in Door County, WI and playing outside all day and to night. But in my 20's I seemed depressed during the winters. I loved Spring, Summer and Fall but started dreading winter. FF 2013 and now I live in Florida! I love everything about it, except the rain. Swim everyday unless it rains, like it is today. It does get pretty cool here at night in the winter though. I'll go back up north in a minute in summer or fall. Otherwise, I'm a very happy Florida transplant. Definitely would have changed me if I had moved here in my younger years. Can't imagine not being in WI for summer. We'll be up there in July. 😍

Respected Contributor

@hoosieroriginal& Jubilant count in one more Hoosier. I have lived here all my life. I know I would miss the different seasons if I moved to a location without seasonal variety. Of course it is said here if you do not like the season just wait a few hours and it will be something different! Lately we have put the air conditioners in place , I have put my electric blanket back on the bed, opened windows,closed them and heard the furnace come on. Smiley Happy

When we have high humidity I have had people tell me when I complain "this humidity is nothing compared to ___________" (name deep southern state) . So I do not think I would enjoy anywhere with continual high humidity & my hair is glad when humidity dries!

How my life would be different in year round summer like weather would be less of me. By the time for fall I have usually lost at least 5 lbs. or more due to more exercise and just not wanting comfort foods (bad carbs usually for me.)

I do find the harsh winter times enjoyable if not too long for enjoying being in and catching up on reading ,especially since being retired and not usually having to go out.

Honored Contributor

I know that I would be very unhappy if I lived somewhere where it was hot most of the time. It has been like this all of my life, if it's hot I get cranky and uncomfortable. I love having 4 distinct seasons.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

I know that I would be very unhappy if I lived somewhere where it was hot most of the time. It has been like this all of my life, if it's hot I get cranky and uncomfortable. I love having 4 distinct seasons.

I agree - I love going through four seasons.  If I had lived in warmer weather, maybe I would have been a better swimmer, which would not be a bad thing.  I notice during the summer, though, even my dog does not want to be outside as long or walk as far.  She does love the doggie beach, though - but how many hours a day can you spend at the doggie beach.  I'll take four seasons.