Honored Contributor

Re: Do you think there's an age or time in life when it's too late to start over somewhere?

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

IF you are moving where you have family and or friends, no.  Otherwise, why on earth move where you don't know a soul?  

If you are moving away somewhere where your kids are far away and will have to take care of you from afar, that's not fair to them.

@Sooner, if my husband and I wanted a big change of location, we would not sit and fret about what might happen down the road. After all, our daughter and family could just as easily announce one day that THEY are moving far away.

Yes but if you are old something IS going to happen and your poor kids will be out of their minds trying to fix everything and see that you are cared for.  And the worry and the guilt and the expense and the juggling work and trying to make plans for you is a huge burden on them.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you think there's an age or time in life when it's too late to start over somewhere?

@Sooner wrote:

Yes but if you are old something IS going to happen and your poor kids will be out of their minds trying to fix everything and see that you are cared for.  And the worry and the guilt and the expense and the juggling work and trying to make plans for you is a huge burden on them.

I wish!

Esteemed Contributor

@Georgiagrama, I know what you're saying. A person can have all the best plans for the future, but there are sometimes life events that change your perspective and your plans. We never know what life is going to give us! Good for you and your beautiful grandchild! There's a lot to be said for just settling in enjoying what is important to us where we are.

Respected Contributor

Moving is very difficult work unless you have alot of help. I thought I would never get my house ever together again. It' even more difficult when people keep buying gits for holidays, birthdays etc.And that part got more difficult for me the older I got.Something to really think about.Woman Indifferent 

Regular Contributor

We are 59 and empty nesters.  Both our daughter's moved from FL to Las Vegas for job opportunities.  The oldest has been there 5 years and the youngest 1 year.  It is doubtful that either will move back to the small FL beach town where they were raised.  My husband and I grew up in PA and moved to FL at age 26 when he was transferred by his company that then closed down within a year.  With no jobs in PA in the mid 80's, we stayed.  

After saying all that........we would sell the house, donate or sell most of the contents, ship the vehicles, then hop a plane to Vegas in a hot minute.   What is holding us back is health insurance.  My husband carries it through the post office and there is a freeze on transfers so we are stuck for now.  Not to get political, but, sadly if the USA had a National Healthcare system, he would quit the post office and we would move as he can "officially" retire after 31 years.   We could always get other jobs to pay the bills, but, unfortunately wouldn't be able to afford quality healthcare.  Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

I think if your health and finances are good, then why not?  If you feel that you want to move to an area that you think will have a more pleasant climate/atmosphere, or desire to move to be closer to family members/friends, then, sure, great.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

I don't think there is a hard and fast rule or age limit but a lot to consider.  Moving is very stressful both physically and mentally.  If you have a lot of doctors and medical problems that can be hard to start over with all that.  Also depends on partner and how well you can get along with a move.  If you are constantly bickering on what to keep or throw out or one has to do all the work it could be an awful expericence.  I am excited by new places and people and would love to move a lot but with dogs and a sickly elderly husband I am stuck.  

Respected Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

I wish!

Not all of us have those kind of children. 

Honored Contributor

@chiclet wrote:

@Zhills wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

I wish!

Not all of us have those kind of children. 

Yes, but in the final analysis it is almost always that a child winds up managing you and your affairs at some point if you live long enough.  Too many people don't take into account what probably will happen, and make plans to deal with these issues.

Lots say "I'll just die" or "I'm not going to get there" and problem is you DO.  And when you are 90 and your kids are 70 and they may have as many or more issues than you do, it is a problem that isn't talked about as much as it should be, or dealt with as reaslitically as it should be.  People don't think it will happen to them.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam

I don't think the pursuit of happiness has an expiration date.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~