Honored Contributor

Re: Do you think there's an age or time in life when it's too late to start over somewhere?

@SahmIam wrote:

This was the topic of conversation over lunch with the in-laws and family friends. We're at the beach and someone mentioned how great it would be to move here. Others said, no, it was too late to do something like that due to their age (those responding to the question said they were too old).

I started to think about it and is there? If so, is it due to money, health issues, not being able to deal with change? I can see my in-laws moving to the other side of the world and having no problem with it and they're in their mid 80's (you would never know it). I know another couple in their late 40's who would be miserable because it would mean change: of friends, having to find a place to live, culture, food....they LOVE routine and want nothing to do with change. 

DH and I have traveled and lived all over the world (not while married but before we met- our trips to the UK and a few other places are it for us traveling now). Our children have NOT had the opportunities we had for seeing the world and yet, being honest, I really don't feel ANY desire to travel anymore.....when did THAT happen?!

Just wondering what others thought. : )

@SahmIam  It seems like you mentioned 2 separate situations...traveling and moving to another location. 

I’ll keep traveling until physically I am no longer able. It’s wonderful to experience other cultures in different countries & there are great places in our country to visit.

Moving: We will be selling our home and downsizing. I’d prefer to wait and make one move to a retirement community when I’m closer to 80. DH is still working, but cutting back, not taking new clients, but still goes in every day. We live a mile from the office and he’s 4 yrs. older, 74. So 6 more yrs. until 80 for him. I feel at 76, I’d be too young for that type of community, a much smaller apartment/condo, having to give up my studio and huge kitchen where I still prepare nightly dinners and enjoy baking. 

Yes, if hubby was retired now while still young, I’d move to another location. Not a beach person ( the sun & I are not friends), but Asheville, NC is gorgeous and still near the granddaughters who are still so young. If they were college aged, I’d live my dream, move to Paris and paint along the Sienne.

Respected Contributor

Re: Do you think there's an age or time in life when it's too late to start over somewhere?

Yes, I do believe there's an age when it's simply too difficult to uproot life, leave old friends, and start a new life elsewhere.  That age varies depending on the person.  

We moved to be nearer to our children 13 years ago and we're finding it difficult to make new friends.  My husband and I were still working.   We really didn't move a great distance and I was able to maintain a relationship with a very good friend.  Fortunately, a couple moved next door who are a perfect match for us and we've enjoyed a wonderful relationship with them for 12 years.  Now, they are moving back to their home state and my long term friend moved away last year.  So, I am facing being friendless for the first time in my life.  

I've done all the volunteering possible and don't want to do more.   

So, I wouldn't recommend moving to anyone nearing retirement age unless it's an absolute necessity. 

Honored Contributor

It is a very personal decision based on many factors.  The bottom line is you do what makes you happy and comfortable.

I live in the same place and am retired.  I came from the city which I loved and now am in a town not far from that city.  With the  exception of my sister, niece and great nieces, my family and friends are all here.  At my age I do not feel change would be good for me.

My sister, also retired, moved out of state to be with her grandchildren.  She isn't happy and hopes to return to this place she left.  There are many valid reasons for her feeling the way she does which she expresses to me often.  She was in her late fifties when she moved and not prepared for the change plus she is a fish out of water.

It is a big choice to leave what you are familiar with but whether you leave or not it should be your decision and done for the right reasons.   

Honored Contributor

Since it's anyones guess how different people would respond to this change, for me, we're kind of looking towards the caboose on this train trip.  We are happy where we are.  We like where we are at.  It's by all we need and want.  I guess a cottage would be an extra type thing we could enjoy for a couple of days.  But like I said, on another post, for comfort we take home with us if we go somewhere.