Honored Contributor

Re: Do you think there is an actress that everyone loves?

On 6/2/2014 qvcfreak said:

Reese Witherspoon

After her rant on tape to the cops???? No way....IMO

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Super Contributor

I like Emma Watson. She appears to be intelligent and level headed and I enjoyed her in all the Harry Potter movies.

Valued Contributor

Big Doris Day fan here!

Esteemed Contributor

All I know is that I personally have always loved Doris Day. Always have, always will.

Super Contributor

Who else? Zooey Deschanel

Esteemed Contributor

I think most can agree the old Hollywood stars were well liked. (Although to be honest I never get the thrill of Marilyn Monroe's "acting" skills). Now days people either love them or hate them. I like Julia Roberts, Meryl Streep, and Jennifer Lawrence among others.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Super Contributor

On 6/4/2014 RainCityGirl said:

I have never heard any negative things about Betty White. Not that there aren't any detractors, but I sure haven't heard any of them.

I don't have any negative remarks to report, but I am very tired of her. Never considered her a great actress, either. Don't understand all the hype.

Honored Contributor

On 6/5/2014 PuppyBreath said:
On 6/4/2014 RainCityGirl said:

I have never heard any negative things about Betty White. Not that there aren't any detractors, but I sure haven't heard any of them.

I don't have any negative remarks to report, but I am very tired of her. Never considered her a great actress, either. Don't understand all the hype.

ITA!

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

Betty White seems like a very nice person but I never thought she was a good actress. I like Meryl Streep as an actress but my husband doesn't care for her at all...so it's all a matter of opinion.

Honored Contributor

On 6/2/2014 azterry! said:
On 6/2/2014 gardenman said:

In reality, there's nothing that's universally loved. Pick the most popular thing you can think of (maybe Oreos?) and you'll find people who despise it. There is nothing and no one that's universally loved. There are people who hate babies for God's sake, so finding something that's universally loved by humans is impossible. Even things like freedom are often willingly surrendered by some. There's just nothing that's universally loved and treasured by all humans.

interesting...

what freedoms are "willingly surrendered by some"?

I do agree there is probably no universally admired actor. Personal taste is a very subjective thing.

Oops! Sorry for the delay in responding. I'd lost track of this thread. Pretty much every freedom is voluntarily surrendered by someone somewhere. Priests surrender the right to marry and vow abstinence. Criminals gamble with their freedom every time they break the law and most accept that it's a gamble they'll ultimately lose. When they lose they give up virtually every freedom they had. In some states convicted felons can no longer vote even after they're released. That's a pretty big freedom to surrender right there. Supporters of dictatorships typically give up nearly all freedom in exchange for personal safety, power, and/or financial rewards.

There aren't many freedoms that exist that you can't find people who willingly give it up. Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness are inalienable rights that the Constitution decrees for all men, but there are people who readily give up their lives (suicide) and their liberty (criminals) and some who never pursue happiness. While most people treasure their freedoms, some don't and are willing to barter away freedoms in exchange for other rewards that they put a higher value on.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!